News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Amateur divers discover 'enormously valuable' hoard of Roman coins

Started by Imperial Dave, September 24, 2021, 10:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

I wasn't clear whether they were originally deposited underwater or whether conditions had changed.
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Quote from: Duncan Head on September 24, 2021, 11:05:25 AM
I wasn't clear whether they were originally deposited underwater or whether conditions had changed.

Yes, I thought that - rising sea levels and so on.  Though they also say they found other nautical things like anchors (which are hard to date, so could be later, I suppose).

Swampster

Sea level change or erosion did spring to mind. I had a brief look online, but I don't know how the sea level has changed here compared to the E. Med where there is a lot more variation - uplift and subsidence.
Let down and marked like a lobster pot? Or washed from swallower water?
I'd be surprised if there would be any difference in the find if it had come from a small boat which had sunk or whatever. They could have been rowing over to Portichol for relative safety if this cache is related to the invasions.

Swampster

Quote from: Erpingham on September 24, 2021, 11:22:28 AM
Quote from: Duncan Head on September 24, 2021, 11:05:25 AM

Yes, I thought that - rising sea levels and so on.  Though they also say they found other nautical things like anchors (which are hard to date, so could be later, I suppose).
I don't think the anchors etc. are particularly associated with the find, just that the bay has all sorts of things cropping up. https://www.javea.com/en/xabia-trabaja-en-la-creacion-de-un-museo-submarino-en-lilla-del-portitxol/ talks of a hundred anchors being found ranging from Punic to Andalusian.
There is a comment at the end that they are going to look for shipwrecks nearby. Whether this is to look for a boat that the chest may have come from or whether they are just doing a survey of the area isn't said.