News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Well-preserved Bronze Age sword found in Bavaria

Started by Duncan Head, June 16, 2023, 05:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Destined to be a nice display piece, I think. :)

Note the pile of arrowheads, suggesting a bow and arrows may have been present too.

Ian61

Looks incredible for the age.
By octagonal I assume that is the cross section of the blade is a very flattened octagon?
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Duncan Head

Quote from: Ian61 on June 16, 2023, 06:05:16 PMBy octagonal I assume that is the cross section of the blade is a very flattened octagon?
I think it's the cross-section of the grip - "The weapon has an ornate octagonal hilt".
Duncan Head

Ian61

Yes you read more accurately than I do Duncan.
Quote from: Duncan Head on June 16, 2023, 07:57:35 PMI think it's the cross-section of the grip - "The weapon has an ornate octagonal hilt".
I missed that first time, I was taken by the sentence- "Only skilled smiths could make octagonal swords." If it's just the grip I don't see that as quite so impressive somehow. Surely its more important to fit the hand than look good. (I found a pistol type grip I liked and which fitted my hand which I stuck to in my fencing days - getting a good grip on any tool be it sword, axe or hammer etc is really important.)
Ian Piper

Erpingham

Quote from: Ian61 on June 16, 2023, 08:52:06 PMSurely its more important to fit the hand than look good.

Actually, in the days when swords were routinely carried and often signified status, the "bling" aspect may have been as important as the "tool" aspect. The bit of the sword most people would see most of the time would be the hilt, so a fancy hilt would prestigious and admired.   

Ian61

Quote from: Erpingham on June 17, 2023, 09:41:45 AM
Quote from: Ian61 on June 16, 2023, 08:52:06 PMSurely its more important to fit the hand than look good.

Actually, in the days when swords were routinely carried and often signified status, the "bling" aspect may have been as important as the "tool" aspect. The bit of the sword most people would see most of the time would be the hilt, so a fancy hilt would prestigious and admired.   

Alas, you are probably right but then I am one of those folks who looks at a fancy sports car and winces to think of them going over speed bumps or some of our rougher roads round here and then, where would I put the dog/long lengths of timber/beehives*!

* The chap behind you tends to leave a lot of extra braking space if you are displaying a 'Bees in Transport' notice in the back window!   8)
Ian Piper