News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Romans in wolf clothing

Started by Swampster, November 15, 2020, 01:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampster

Do we have any idea of when the Romans started putting their standard bearers and musicians in wolf skins?
I know AMPW says not during that period. Sekunda shows the 'urban legions' standard bearers in wolf skins in his 200BC to 104BC book - but is that based on any evidence?

I am painting the W&E Polybian figures and they have gone with the Sekunda version for most of their packs which means I could end up with a dozen nice but useless figures. I could just go ahead and put them in, but the thought of Duncan tutting at me would keep me up at night :)
One of the packs does have an un-animal clad figure - shame they didn't put him in with more of the packs or just leave them out altogether. Some of the packs are generously sized so the 'command' figures are supernumary but some aren't - especially the princepes.

DougM

good question, not a clue, but did you need to quote yourself?
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Duncan Head

Honestly, I don't know. My vote against them in AMPW was largely based on absence of evidence (except for the Osuna hornist). There are also indistinct late Republican coins which look to show standard-bearers without fancy headgear.
Duncan Head

Swampster

Sorry Doug - sorted!

So. I probably shouldn't use them, but wouldn't have my sword broken and epaulettes torn off if I did :)

EDIT
That Arrius coin has given me an idea for how to use some of the many standards provided by W&E - a general chucking one into the mass of enemy and telling his men to go and get it.