News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

La Tene and Roman excavations near Munich

Started by DBS, October 23, 2023, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian61

Good find David. Sounds like a big settlement for the time/place. Are we sure that second picture isn't of a baked bean tin? :)
The town hall idea seems interesting - are we moving away from the idea that anything not purely functional must be of religious significance? On the other hand reading the last sentence is everything we can't explain now due to 'climate change'?
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

DBS

The carbon footprint from burning all those wicker men was appalling.  :o

Agreed that climate change is perhaps offered up too easily, but I suppose archaeologists wanting funding will always be tempted to clutch at the zeitgeist de jour.
David Stevens

Andreas Johansson

It's a tad weird to call Bavaria, which is about the size of the Republic of Ireland, a "city-state".

The claim that La Tène Celts inhabited the place until AD 1000 (!) is presumably a typo or similar, given that it latter says the place was abandoned in Late Roman times.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 46 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

DBS

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on October 24, 2023, 07:43:34 AMIt's a tad weird to call Bavaria, which is about the size of the Republic of Ireland, a "city-state".

The claim that La Tène Celts inhabited the place until AD 1000 (!) is presumably a typo or similar, given that it latter says the place was abandoned in Late Roman times.
Yes, I let that 1000AD bit pass as I could not believe any competent archaeologist would have said it, so must have been something lost, or rather gained, in the telling!

Given the fluidity of the frontiers in late Roman times, one can imagine a host of human reasons, not all necessarily violent, for the site being abandoned.  "Climate change" was certainly a factor in the huge changes up at the Rhine estuary with the Second Dunkirk Marine Transgression, but I would like to know more about the situation in Bavaria before assuming that as the particular forcing mechanism.
David Stevens