News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Shooting Experiments with Early Medieval Arrowheads

Started by Imperial Dave, March 17, 2020, 06:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quoteno pics or video but may be of interest following on from the pila discussions

The pictures display for me in a right side bar.  The interesting one is, I think, the leather covered shield full of arrows.  A shield of this general construction could obviously take a fair bit of punishment from a mid-weight bow shooting light arrows, whatever type of head.

Imperial Dave

Thanks Anthony. Side bar wasnt showing on my PC for some reason but it now! From my experience, uncovered shields dont put up with too much before showing signs of wear and tear. We used to cover our shields with layers of hessian cloth that was then painted over and whilst not pretty did allow a fair bit of punishment. Leather obviously more so 
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

These experiments are consistent with others I've read on early medieval shields.  Uncovered wood tends to split very quickly.  Cover it with leather or cloth (linen has been tried) and glue it down and you have something more durable, less prone to splinter.  It may not make a great deal of difference to a full blooded axe blow but it does make arrows and various stabs less effective. 

Imperial Dave

we also used to use dog chews to line the shield rims and were really effective at stopping splintering
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

...and I am sure any number of shield-chewing berserkers amongst your group were grateful.    ;D
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

erm.......hadnt thought of that but did wonder at the teeth marks on my lent out shield when it came back...... ;D
Slingshot Editor