News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Most Northerly and most Southerly historically attested battle sites

Started by Tim, March 27, 2020, 06:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Now you understand that when on my enforced working from home my concentration is 100% on the job. That said once work stops I have been musing on some topics, one of which related to 1066 (I am currently using a Norman Invasion army) so was researching Harald Hardrada. One of his earliest combats is listed as the Battle of Stiklestad. However when I looked further it turns out that there is no contemporary evidence for it (which they don't mention in Bergen). This got me to thinking, what about other supposed battles of the period?

This brings me to my questions. What is the most northerly battle site from our period that is historically attested? Similar question for the most southerly battle site that is historically attested (this came out of research into east asian history following some excellent articles in Slingshot - finding records of actual battles in that region is strikingly hard)?

Andreas Johansson

Here's a map trying to show the location of all battles ever. It's no doubt incomplete, and their definition of "battle" seems to be loose.

Anyway, the northernmost "battle" they show is Operation Gauntlet, a bloodless raid on Spitsbergen during WWII. Sticking to conventional land battles, their most northern one appears to be the battle of Petsamo, also WWII, at about 69ยบ (well north of the Arctic Circle).

The southernmost seems to be the battle of Grytviken, South Georgia, during the Falklands War.

The map is colour-coded by date, so you could try to concentrate further at work by finding out the northernmost and southernmost in our period.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Erpingham

Looking at our period, I think some of the medieval Icelandic battles may be candidates for the most northerly battle.  Perhaps Floabardagi (1244), a naval battle off Iceland's north coast?

Tim

Andreas, thank you for the link. Not convinced by this given it has the Nez P wars in the Southern Indian Ocean.

Anthony, thank you for the filter to match the period in the question. Floabardagi makes sense for the most northerly.