News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Alpine ice, atmospheric lead, and the murder of Thomas a Becket

Started by Duncan Head, March 31, 2020, 08:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

unusual but incredibly interesting Duncan. I had no idea previously that industrial trends could be detected and mapped for a relatively early period such at that
Slingshot Editor

Andreas Johansson

The dip in 1170 seems dubiously significant, given how much the (logarithmic!) curve bounces up and down afterwards.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

RichT

Yes - it seems an eye of faith is required to see much correlation between the red and blue lines, and the pipe rolls data already gives more detail than the ice. Still, interesting study.

Erpingham

Its also not entirely new.  Lead in ice cores also shows up for the Romans IIRC.

Chuck the Grey

Quote from: Erpingham on March 31, 2020, 10:17:17 AM
Its also not entirely new.  Lead in ice cores also shows up for the Romans IIRC.

Yes it does. I remember that at one time the notion that the use of lead pipes for plumbing resulted in a decrease in mental capacity in the Roman elite due to lead poisoning and this was a contributing factor in the fall of the Roman Empire. I never thought much of that theory. Not sure if it has any supporters now.

Mark G

Where are the current best guesses on the fall of the empire, these days?

I remember one that there was a warming which allowed malaria to establish further north in the Italian swamps, and that was key.

Erpingham

Quote from: Mark G on April 01, 2020, 08:00:00 AM
Where are the current best guesses on the fall of the empire, these days?

I remember one that there was a warming which allowed malaria to establish further north in the Italian swamps, and that was key.

Well, I suppose its a change from othismos :)