News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Neolithic stone axe with haft attached found in Denmark

Started by Duncan Head, November 26, 2014, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

QuoteArchaeologists in Denmark have uncovered an incredibly rare find: a stone age axe held within its wooden handle. The 5,500-year-old Neolithic axe was found during archaeological surveys ahead of a multi-billion euro tunnel project.
The find was made in Rodbyhavn on the Danish island of Lolland, which is to be connected to the German island of Fehmarn via the tunnel link.

"Finding a hafted [handle-bearing] axe as well preserved as this one is quite amazing," said Soren Anker Sorensen, an archaeologist at the Museum Lolland-Falster in Denmark.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30197084, which has a picture.
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

Very useful, because this confirms how axe-heads of this nature were secured to handles.

The article also mentions other finds in the same general area:

Archaeologists have found other similarly well preserved organic material in the area during their excavations.

These include upright wooden stakes, a paddle, bows and other axe shafts.

I can see an army list taking shape here ...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

DBMM's already there; although the Early North European sublist only nominally goes back (IIRC) to 2000 BC, the earliest phase is based on Neolithic archers. (Even if, at DBMM scale, I suspect that an entire army of this period might struggle to reach a couple of elements...)
Duncan Head

Tim

So what is the Latin for minor skirmish?  DBA would have to be renamed D?PH...

Duncan Head

Phil tested a set of DB* skirmish rules once, years ago, at an SoA Knuston conference. I think he called them something like "De Bellis Velitum".
Duncan Head

Andreas Johansson

Quote from: Duncan Head on November 27, 2014, 09:23:44 AM
Phil tested a set of DB* skirmish rules once, years ago, at an SoA Knuston conference. I think he called them something like "De Bellis Velitum".
De Bellis Velitum is available, abeit well hidden, on his website.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 46 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other