News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Picts in 25mm

Started by Dave Knight, December 05, 2014, 10:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Knight

I am hoping to acquire some old Irregular Miniatures 25mm Picts and was looking for some variety to bulk them out.

The only ones that I have been able to find so far are Minfigs which are not great castings and seem overpriced for what they are.

I consider myself to be fairly laid back when it comes to scale but some of the bigger 28mm figures might be a bit overpowering mixed in the same unit, which is why I specified 25mm figures

Sharur

Old Glory do a range of 25mm Picts, infantry, cavalry and chariots under their "Age of Arthur" banner. Not sure how the scale may match up with Irregular though. Unpainted photos on the main US website here (the Picts continue onto page 2), UK prices and availability (but just one painted photo) here.

May be worth checking some of the 15mm ranges perhaps, as scale-creep means they may be compatible with the older, "genuine", 25mm scale Irregular. Not familiar enough with these to offer specific suggestions, though.

Duncan Head

Both the HaT and RedBox Picts are said to average 24mm tall, if that's close enough. Neither look to be especially nice figures.

Some more photos of the Old Glory ones at http://home.earthlink.net/~mikedemanagames/Gallery/DarkAgePicts.html
Duncan Head

Dave Knight

Thanks - Old Glory don't look bad at all.

I am afraid that I am not much of a fan of plastics

Jim Webster

Of the plastic I liked the HaT ones better, but you got an inordinate number of crossbowmen!

As for the Redbox, the naked picts with strategically placed square shields did rather amuse  :)

Jim

stevenneate

Got a pile of Gripping Beast figures that I use for SAGA.  Look under their Scots-Irish range.

Erpingham

Early Irregular as small even by 25mm standards.  I,ve got a few early range Picts masquerading as Welsh and these are in a mixed unit with minifigs.  Go together size wise OK but sculpting v. different.  OG are larger 25mm, towards the small end of 28mm, so are bigger but probably the best of the modern ranges.  Foundry Picts are much bigger and I'd think GB are too.  You could try new range Irregular - pose types and sculpting style are a good match and they are at the smaller end of 28mm.

aligern

GB are nice but too big for your Irregulars.
Roy