News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Dr K A Fowler and French Army reform

Started by Tim, October 29, 2016, 03:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

In Denys Hay's A General History of Europe: Europe in the 14th and 15th Centuries on page 105 he has a footnote reference '...Dr K. A. Fowler for information concerning the reform of the French army in the fourteenth century.'  There is nothing in the (frankly rather confusing) bibliography and I have never heard of nor can find any reference to said Dr.  Does anyone here know more and/or have any idea where I can find out more?  English sources on the ordonnance of 1374 are not exactly ten-a-penny...

Erpingham

Kenneth Fowler is a major historian of the HYW so I'm surprised you can't find anything on him.  His The Age of Plantagenet and Valois, Chapter III does discuss various French ordonnances, including 1374.  But this book is nearly 50 years old, so there must be more modern information out there.

Duncan Head

His most recent major work is about mercenaries - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medieval-Mercenaries-Companies-Kenneth-Fowler/dp/0631158863 - which I suppose is only likely to be indirectly relevant.
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Wonderful book though it is, it really is about its subject matter.  While this is helpful for the part played by the companies and their captains, it is less good on "regular" forces is specified in the ordonnances.

Tim

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I did not know to look for Kenneth Fowler.  To be honest I have never heard of him but tended to read about battles rather than the whole HYW.  The Mercenaries book at over GBP 50 is too rich for my budget but getting his earlier work for less than a fiver seems a good deal so I ordered it.