News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Sicel.

Started by David Kush, December 29, 2016, 11:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Kush

Any ideas about what late 5th century - early 4th century Sicel  infantry would look like? Especially the shields and helmets? I want some in Carthagenian service.

aligern

http://www.visitsicily.info/en/10cosea/ragusa/
If you look through the Ragusa museum site, is the deluef of Pirrinoi any help. Looks like a low rise round shield wth rim.
Roy

Duncan Head

There's a Sican - not Sikel, but how different would they be? - jug from the settlement of Polizzello which shows a man with a large round shield, probably of the Greek hoplite type, and what may be a helmet-crest on his head, in R Ross Holloway, The Archaeology of Ancient Sicily. Otherwise I've never found much.
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

Two suggestions:

1) If in Carthaginian service, they could be equipped by Carthage and resemble Punic light infantry but with different-coloured hair and beards (Sicels are believed to be Italian in origin and Oscan is the currently favoured culture).

2) Alternatively, dress them as standard Oscan javelinmen.

Otherwise your guess is as good as mine.  In any event the consensus seems to be round shields.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill