News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Couched lance and mounted shock combat - Georgian Experience

Started by davidb, January 24, 2017, 06:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidb

Duncan Head

Very interesting, thanks. The DB* lists have oscillated in their treatment of Georgian cavalry because good information is so hard to find; wish we'd had this years ago.
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

Also an interesting case in point for Anthony's recent question about mediaeval art reflecting military life (which sadly has not yet attracted much attention): this picture from the article shows a Georgian saint with a distinctly couched lance.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Actually my first thought when I saw that pic in the article was that the author cites it as a couched lance - but is it? The lance doesn't seem to be gripped in the armpit, so is it more of a conventional "underarm thrust"?
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Quote from: Duncan Head on January 25, 2017, 09:22:42 PM
Actually my first thought when I saw that pic in the article was that the author cites it as a couched lance - but is it? The lance doesn't seem to be gripped in the armpit, so is it more of a conventional "underarm thrust"?

Does seem to be held close to the body though, suggesting an attempt at harnessing impetus rather than just relying on arm strength?. 

aligern

Its not couched!  A couched lance should be held under the armpit with the closed hand rotated so thenpalm is upright. This locks the lance to the body and transfers the force of the man's weight to the target.  When such a strike hits it purces shield, ir breast or tips the opponent out of the saddle.  The lance either pierces, slides off or shatters because there is no easy

The lance as this gentleman holds it is more suited for a stab that hits the opponent and, if it pierces, swings to the vertical and is pulled out as the rider passes. It is the way 19th century European lancers strike the oppinent, after all, they are not using long stirrups and a high cantled saddle. I suggest the Georgian pictured is hunting and in hunting the man is interested in stabbing the prey and recovering the lance rather than sending the boar flying.
Roy