News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Macedonian Allied Hoplites (344 BCE)

Started by Dextropy, July 07, 2022, 06:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dextropy

I'm working up an early Macedonian army in 15mm, and I've hit a bit of a wall regarding allied hoplite contingents around Phillips later campaigns.
I have a band of mercenary hoplites that I'm modeling with a variety of unique blazions and armor, but for the allied hoplites I'd like to differentiate them a bit for gaming ease and maybe a novel historical flair.
If what I have so far is reasonable, it would seem that Thessalian and Boeotian hoplites would of been found in his employ.
From what I've found, it would seem Boeotian hoplites would likely be generally uniform in terms of panoply and helm but Thessaly is devoid of much other than that they could field ~10,000 foot troops. I understand that uniformity wasn't the name of the game outside of Sparta, but thought I might be able to integrate some state colors if such is referenced anywhere.
I was curious if anyone had some unique ideas or resources I should engage with. The best resource I've found so far is "Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars" but it's a bit dated at this point and wasn't sure if there was any good new scholarship on the above.
Thanks,
Dexter

Jim Webster

One issue is the difference between allied hoplites and mercenary hoplites.
For allies they could well share a common shield design. But with mercenaries there appears to be academic discussion as to whether the mercenary hoplite even had his own kit or whether it was issued to him. So I suspect that the choice of design ould be what he painted on his shield, or what his employer wanted painting on the shield he has supplied.

Duncan Head

Thessalian hoplites may have been a bit of a rarity, and allied Thessalian infantry might have been more likely to have been well-equipped peltasts. See Slawomir Sprawski's article.
Duncan Head

Dextropy

Quote from: Duncan Head on July 07, 2022, 11:13:28 AM
Thessalian hoplites may have been a bit of a rarity, and allied Thessalian infantry might have been more likely to have been well-equipped peltasts. See Slawomir Sprawski's article.
Excellent resource- I think I'll avoid a Thessalian infantry contingent with these notes being taken into account.

Were there any other regional allies at this period that would be fielding traditional hoplites other than the Boeotians? 

Quote from: Jim Webster on July 07, 2022, 09:52:04 AM
One issue is the difference between allied hoplites and mercenary hoplites.
For allies they could well share a common shield design. But with mercenaries there appears to be academic discussion as to whether the mercenary hoplite even had his own kit or whether it was issued to him. So I suspect that the choice of design ould be what he painted on his shield, or what his employer wanted painting on the shield he has supplied.

Aye, the mercenaries I'm not too worried about- The sources seem pretty clear that whatever I do, I'd be within the realm of possibility.
It's the allied contingents I'm trying to narrow down a bit. Theban troops with Boeotian helms, and the club of Hercules adorning their shields for example- I'm trying to root out other possible regional equipment.

Duncan Head

Quote from: Dextropy on July 07, 2022, 11:53:19 PMWere there any other regional allies at this period that would be fielding traditional hoplites other than the Boeotians? 

I'm not sure, honestly. Even if you are looking at the 340s generally rather than 344 specifically - various interpretations suggest Philip was in Illyria and/or Epeiros in that year, not in Greece - there doesn't seem to be much direct evidence of hoplite contingents campaigning alongside him. I can't see any evidence that he had any Greek allies when he attacked Ambracia in 343, for instance. Various Peloponnesian  states were regarded as Philip's allies but probably never provided troops.

QuoteIt's the allied contingents I'm trying to narrow down a bit. Theban troops with Boeotian helms, and the club of Hercules adorning their shields for example- I'm trying to root out other possible regional equipment.

Less evidence for hoplites in Boiotian helmets than I would once have thought; the several stelae of Theban hoplites from the end of the 5th century (I have not found any from the 4th?) all show the pilos. I was thinking that if I did Theban hoplites for the Mantineia Battleday, I'd probably do  a mix of pilos and Boiotian types. I have submitted an article to Nigel on shield-patterns of the contingents at Mantineia, but finding a state that provided troops would have to come first!
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Reading 'The Mercenaries of Hellenistic Crete' by Stephanie Pamela Craven I was reminded that some of the personnel of an 'allied' contingent could well be mercenaries. She mentions situations where the treaty specifically insisted on citizens.

When you consider it, this is reasonable. From the point of view of the Hoplite, you might be happy to defend the city and even campaign in Greece, but you are by definition a man with business commitments and a farm that needs looking after. So sending a mercenary who doesn't mind being away for months in your place seems reasonable.
Indeed some of the troops could be citizens who did occasional mercenary service, or perhaps younger citizens who wanted a chance to make some money before they came home

Jim

RichT

Quote from: Duncan Head on July 08, 2022, 11:12:28 AM
Less evidence for hoplites in Boiotian helmets than I would once have thought

Is there any, in fact? Pictorial evidence that is - there is Demosthenes 59.94 for the Plataeans:

"The Plataeans, men of Athens, alone among the Greeks came to your aid at Marathon ... And even to this day the picture in the Painted Stoa exhibits the memorial of their valor; for each man is portrayed hastening to your aid with all speed — they are the band wearing Boeotian caps."

'Caps' translates kunas, hat or helmet (lit. dog-skin). If Plataeans at this date wore distinctive helmets (or distinctive hats) then other Boeotians might have too.  But all the depictions of Boeotian helmets I can think of are on cavalry, though I expect they could have been worn by hoplites too.

Also of course the identification of what we call the Boeotian helmet with the hat-like helmet depicted in art (and surviving in finds) is not certain (not that I doubt it). The Boeotian, like the pilos and the Phrygian, is another one of those 'hats made in metal' type of helmets.

Duncan Head

Quote from: RichT on July 08, 2022, 01:13:12 PMIs there any, in fact? Pictorial evidence that is - there is Demosthenes 59.94 for the Plataeans:

"The Plataeans, men of Athens, alone among the Greeks came to your aid at Marathon ... And even to this day the picture in the Painted Stoa exhibits the memorial of their valor; for each man is portrayed hastening to your aid with all speed — they are the band wearing Boeotian caps."

I used to think that the stele of Mnason showed a Boiotian notched brim on the helmet, but I think I must have been working from a bad drawing because I certainly can't see it now. So no, no good evidence that I know of. There is Eubolos in the Hellenistic period (two thyreoi and a Boiotian helmet) but some would see even that as a cavalryman's monument, purely because of the helmet.
Duncan Head

Dextropy

Quote from: Dextropy on July 07, 2022, 11:53:19 PMWere there any other regional allies at this period that would be fielding traditional hoplites other than the Boeotians? 

I'm not sure, honestly. Even if you are looking at the 340s generally rather than 344 specifically - various interpretations suggest Philip was in Illyria and/or Epeiros in that year, not in Greece - there doesn't seem to be much direct evidence of hoplite contingents campaigning alongside him. I can't see any evidence that he had any Greek allies when he attacked Ambracia in 343, for instance. Various Peloponnesian  states were regarded as Philip's allies but probably never provided troops.

Aye, there's very little from what I can find from these years- That's part of its lure as it allows for a bit of flexibility. 344 offers a unique year as Phillip himself was tending wounds received in earlier campaigns. Yet it would seem that there was still activity lead by other commanders. Polyaenus notes that in 344 that Phillips daughter Cynane single handedly slayed the Illyrian queen Caeria during campaign.
I wasn't sure if as Tagus of Thessaly, Phillip would of called upon Thessalian Hoplites, or would of kept them at home.
Simon Elliot in "Ancient Greeks at War" notes that he included many Thessalian hoplites at the battle of Crocus Field. Duncan Head notes that by mid 300's they were likely indistinguishable from Macedonian troops. Sławomir Sprawski claims they were all peltasts... Needless to say it seems they seem easier said than done to field with any sort of concrete claim.

Quote from: Jim Webster on July 08, 2022, 01:11:01 PM
Reading 'The Mercenaries of Hellenistic Crete' by Stephanie Pamela Craven I was reminded that some of the personnel of an 'allied' contingent could well be mercenaries. She mentions situations where the treaty specifically insisted on citizens.

Aye, that seems reasonable. I think my two "safe" options for Thessalonians are to either to draw up poorly graded foot companions instead of allied hoplites, slap a horse on their pelta and call it a day, or do the same with some "mercenary" hoplites. I'm mainly looking for a clear visual indicator of their attributes in game as "mercenary hoplites" and "allied hoplites" have different levels of skill that would be semi appropriate.

Less evidence for hoplites in Boiotian helmets than I would once have thought.

Fair enough- I was basing that simply off of model availability. Many miniature ranges differentiate Theban hoplites/sacred band from their other offerings with said helm. I assumed that was based on more tangible evidence, but it seems fleeting.

This article "Xenophon and the Boeotian Helmet" https://www.jstor.org/stable/3046411?seq=5 posits that it was likely a revival of the more archaic helm of "Diomedes"

Duncan Head

Quote from: Dextropy on July 09, 2022, 05:01:33 AMThis article "Xenophon and the Boeotian Helmet" https://www.jstor.org/stable/3046411?seq=5 posits that it was likely a revival of the more archaic helm of "Diomedes"
Yes, I've seen that. I remain unconvinced, and I am not sure anyone believes it these days. But it's a good reminder that - as ever - we know less than we think we do.
Duncan Head