News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Is the Cerne Abbas Giant late Saxon?

Started by Duncan Head, May 12, 2021, 08:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougM

Naughty Saxons, must have taken hundreds of them just to make a penis joke.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Anton

I went to see it years ago, it is an impressive sight. 

There was a local story that women wanting children should sit on the tip of the Giant's member, flesh to chalk as it were.  No one did so while I was there though I was told it still happened..

My companion who was very arty wanted to know if the style of the Giant gave any clues to it's creators.  I couldn't tell her but maybe that would be something useful to explore.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on May 12, 2021, 09:23:15 AM
giggling as they did it

Given the content of the Exeter Book riddles, the idea that Saxons were up for a bit of penis humour shouldn't be a surprise.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on May 12, 2021, 10:15:35 AM
Quote from: Holly on May 12, 2021, 09:23:15 AM
giggling as they did it

Given the content of the Exeter Book riddles, the idea that Saxons were up for a bit of penis humour shouldn't be a surprise.

toilet humour being a particular speciality of these fair isles.....
Slingshot Editor

DBS

Young Farmers... UFOs...  crop circles...
David Stevens

RichT

The only time I've seen it in the flesh is from a plane en route to the US. Glanced out of the window over southern Britain, there it was. I thought the makers, whoever they were, would be pleased it was so clearly visible from 30,000 ft.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: RichT on May 12, 2021, 11:21:44 AM
The only time I've seen it in the flesh is from a plane en route to the US. Glanced out of the window over southern Britain, there it was. I thought the makers, whoever they were, would be pleased it was so clearly visible from 30,000 ft.

VERY pleased.....
Slingshot Editor

Prufrock

I'd make a joke myself, but there are so many it's difficult to keep up!

Imperial Dave

and coming from such an upstanding young fella like yourself and all......
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Holly on May 12, 2021, 03:28:18 PM

There goes the staid image of the SoA as an association of fine sophisticated and proud members. Glad to be associated with that excellent organ, Slingshot.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Quote from: DougM on May 12, 2021, 05:25:05 PM

There goes the staid image of the SoA as an association of fine sophisticated and proud members. Glad to be associated with that excellent organ, Slingshot.

always ready to stand to attention....sah!
Slingshot Editor

timurilank

Quote from: DougM on May 12, 2021, 05:25:05 PM

;D