News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Almohad Christian Mercenaries

Started by Erpingham, July 02, 2018, 01:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Those interested in the Muslim armies of the West may find this article interesting

Andreas Johansson

Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

davidb

Thanks Anthony. looks interesting.

Duncan Head

Talking of Almohads, I came across just recently another interesting read on the Almohads in a theatre of war, and against an opponent, that might not immediately come to mind:

The Struggle for North Africa between Almohads, Ayyubids, and Banū Ghāniya (Late Twelfth to Early Thirteenth Centuries A.D.), a thesis by Amar Salem Baadj.

Quote from: Qarāqūsh"I will not go anywhere without my catapults!"
Duncan Head

Duncan Head

... and this is a shorter piece on much the same topic, more from the Ayyubid viewpoint.
Duncan Head

nikgaukroger

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Andreas Johansson

Baadj has also written a book called Saladin, the Almohads and the Banu Ghaniya: The Contest for North Africa (12th and 13th Centuries) based on his thesis. Parts of the introduction and chs. 1-2 can be read at Google Books.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Duncan Head

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on July 04, 2018, 05:51:15 PM
Baadj has also written a book called Saladin, the Almohads and the Banu Ghaniya: The Contest for North Africa (12th and 13th Centuries) based on his thesis. Parts of the introduction and chs. 1-2 can be read at Google Books.
And a mere £73.42 from amazon....
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on July 05, 2018, 08:43:34 AM
Quote from: Andreas Johansson on July 04, 2018, 05:51:15 PM
And a mere £73.42 from amazon....

How did I know Brill  were the publisher before I even checked on Amazon?   :-[