News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Ancient skeletons bury a popular right-wing talking point

Started by Imperial Dave, April 12, 2018, 09:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

Quote from: aligern on April 21, 2018, 09:21:05 AM
So can we say the R word should not be used please? too  much baggage.
Also, try as we might there is no way that we can look at Ancient cultures except through modern eyes, though we can try very hard to make allowances for our modern points of view.   
  I think its fruitful to look at academic bias, though we have done that several times. Tony Blair once made the point that government has its own interests by which he meant that MP's, Congressmen, Lords and Senators, ministers and civil servants had interests in preserving their structures ( look at the heat generated by a propisal to cut the number of MPs in the UK).  Academics have this too. There are both subtle and direct pressures to make new interpretations. Some are reflective of changes in Society, such as Rhodes moving from rogueish hero to villain , some to the need to stand out to get academic promotion, some to the desire of senior academics to have followers and some to the desire of followers to get places and perquisites in a manner the 17th century would have been proud of. 

This works for me. For govt bias watch the first season of Yes Minister. A brilliant satire.

Erpingham

Quote from: Justin Swanton on April 21, 2018, 09:55:02 AM

This works for me. For govt bias watch the first season of Yes Minister. A brilliant satire.

I'm afraid UK government has jumped the shark since then :)

Darthvegeta800

This kind of topic can Be used by extreme nutters on both sides of the Fence that throw nuance out the window. Besides the current political, social and economic conflicts in West Europe are more linked to conflicting cultures, evolving cultures, devolving cultures etc  than to Be retraced to mere ethnicities. Still i think iT unwise to debate the matter here on the basis of a political article. That is all I Will say about in the forum. I prefer to leave contemporary politics, misère and religion out of my hobby.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Darthvegeta800 on April 21, 2018, 11:32:37 AM
I prefer to leave contemporary politics, misère and religion out of my hobby.

It's true, life is so much simpler when we just discuss people hitting each other with sharpened metal bars  8)

RichT

Quote from: Prufrock on April 21, 2018, 08:38:53 AM
Folks, I think we need to can this topic. No good can come of pursuing it. It's the kind of thing that can lead to serious animosity, and once such has been aroused it's very hard to get rid of. Discussions about interpretations of history are what we are here for, but we need to keep this an apolitical space as much as we can, otherwise, as has happened on so many internet forums in the past, it will poison the atmosphere and have potentially disastrous repercussions for the membership, and not just here but for the Society as a whole. None of us want people getting genuinely upset, none of us want to cause offence to others, and none of us want members leaving because of rash words, so please let's just back away from that precipice and keep this as the kind of place we want it to be.

Best,
Aaron

Seconded, and exactly what I meant when I suggested this forum would benefit from a moderator. The current administrators are not the people for this job for various obvious reasons. I had in mind one of the wiser heads - Anthony, Duncan, Aaron, if they were willing. Being a moderator wouldn't mean not taking part in the discussions, it would just mean keeping an eye out for dangerous waters, and warning or editing as required - this is already happening, as Duncan, Anthony and Aaron have each had to make such interventions in the past few days but they have had to take the form of requests to desist, or requests for an admin to edit. If they could step in and do the job themselves, so much better for everyone, and it would act as a disincentive to inappropriate behaviour in the first place.

Of course if they aren't willing, then the suggestion can go no further. But I thought it worth asking.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on April 21, 2018, 11:59:48 AM

It's true, life is so much simpler when we just discuss people hitting each other with sharpened metal bars  8)

or pointy sticks :)
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on April 21, 2018, 06:22:19 PM

that's the one. Stick to techie details, go into great depth about tunic colours and the world will ignore you totally is too boring to be of interest  8)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on April 21, 2018, 06:25:43 PM

that's the one. Stick to techie details, go into great depth about tunic colours and the world will ignore you totally is too boring to be of interest  8)

keep it simple Jim :)
Slingshot Editor

Flaminpig0

possibly Jaw Bones of Asses

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Flaminpig0 on April 21, 2018, 06:40:16 PM

too obscure ;-)
Slingshot Editor

Flaminpig0

Quote from: Holly on April 21, 2018, 07:02:48 PM

too obscure ;-)

Not to the admittedly ever diminishing host of Victor Mature fans ;)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Flaminpig0 on April 21, 2018, 07:14:22 PM

too obscure ;-)

Victor Mature! Now you are taking me back a few years (and Saturday morning films!)  :)
Slingshot Editor

Flaminpig0

Quote from: Holly on April 21, 2018, 07:16:18 PM
Quote from: Flaminpig0 on April 21, 2018, 07:14:22 PM

too obscure ;-)

Victor Mature! Now you are taking me back a few years (and Saturday morning films!)  :)

He also played Hannibal  :o

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor