News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Spartacus takes the field... but not necessarily in historic fashion

Started by CarlL, December 16, 2023, 09:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Given Carl's love of modelling, I am looking forward to his ideas on making burning logs.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

CarlL

Barry Strauss's "The Spartacus War" is a good read too. CarlL

Imperial Dave

echo that. Read it a few years ago when the TV series was on. Very good
Slingshot Editor

CarlL

PS "Swampster" / Peter,

One fact you got wrong: "Carl's intention is to use Kubrick rather than Appian as the source so much of what I'll say isn't really relevant for him." My intention is to use gladiator figures instead of figures in Roman armour but otherwise create a 'historical' representation of Spartacus's forces.
I raised the topic to bring in as much knowledge from members as people can share; while also extend into what ifs - as noted in my original post - (but trying to relate to the history) where the many gaps exist in the fragmented and limited sources about Spartacus.

Cheers for all your contributions so far, and the historical sources are relevant, just the tabletop heavy infantry will appear as gladiators for the fun of it.
CarlL

CarlL

Anthony / 'Erpingham',

I cheated and bought some 30+ years ago, not sure which 28mm trader, I thought they could feature as ambush weapons (or slow moving scythed chariot type!) just for fun ... I may just add smoke and odd flame effect!!

CarlL

Erpingham

Quote from: CarlL on December 19, 2023, 07:01:11 PMI thought they could feature as ambush weapons (or slow moving scythed chariot type!) just for fun ..

Yes, it is interesting to think how they might work.  Unlike, say, flaming pigs, one needs the right sort of sloping terrain.  I'd also think they were very vulnerable, needing two unarmoured blokes to propel them.  Just take out one, and the device would swerve to a halt.

Swampster

Quote from: Imperial Dave on December 19, 2023, 06:52:37 PMecho that. Read it a few years ago when the TV series was on. Very good
I seem to remember a few things which were a bit of a leap. Was it Strauss that reckoned the cavalry arm was what Spartacus relied on?

Swampster

Sorry - I made a leap from the 'Hollywood' style you mentioned.

Quote from: CarlL on December 19, 2023, 06:57:49 PMPS "Swampster" / Peter,

One fact you got wrong: "Carl's intention is to use Kubrick rather than Appian as the source so much of what I'll say isn't really relevant for him." My intention is to use gladiator figures instead of figures in Roman armour but otherwise create a 'historical' representation of Spartacus's forces.
I raised the topic to bring in as much knowledge from members as people can share; while also extend into what ifs - as noted in my original post - (but trying to relate to the history) where the many gaps exist in the fragmented and limited sources about Spartacus.

Cheers for all your contributions so far, and the historical sources are relevant, just the tabletop heavy infantry will appear as gladiators for the fun of it.
CarlL

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Swampster on December 19, 2023, 07:19:21 PM
Quote from: Imperial Dave on December 19, 2023, 06:52:37 PMecho that. Read it a few years ago when the TV series was on. Very good
I seem to remember a few things which were a bit of a leap. Was it Strauss that reckoned the cavalry arm was what Spartacus relied on?

I honestly cant remember as it must be 10 years since I read it last
Slingshot Editor

Swampster

Quote from: Erpingham on December 19, 2023, 04:53:36 PMGiven Carl's love of modelling, I am looking forward to his ideas on making burning logs.
1st Corps make them in 28mm
https://1stcorps.co.uk/product/slave-revolt-spartacus/

I've seen some done in 15mm - I think it was on the DBA Fanaticus site.

CarlL

Good spot Peter / 'Swampster' - they look like the ones I bought!?

I am just getting back into reading the sources and secondary histories based on sources after a long gap since any background reading on the Third Servile War ... in itself a very Roman description. Would Spartacus have been a 'terrorist' or a 'freedom fighter' in todays news headlines!! I suppose it would depend on if it was the Roman TV station reporting!!

Thanks for sharing link to your 'blog'and your own Spartacus army. Mine will share many similarities bar the HI armament.

Your 1stCorps link, and their images of their figures, reminded me that is who provided my 'Kirk Douglas' on a horse. I will give him a beard, as I believe Spartacus was bearded... and make a foot version too, as its clear the army was an infantry one, although mobility was sometimes a raiding asset in foraging or striking an early blow but not in stand up fight. (From memory so I must re-kindle my background reading!)

Thank you for your historical and gaming input. I value it and enjoy it. I don't want to put anyone off contributing as others may get bug to do a 'non gladiator' Spartacus army!!

My figures were bought years ago when I built a 25mm Carthaginian and a 25mm Roman Republican army and looked to add an alternative Roman foe (I did also have a 25mm Macedonian army! And thought about how to create Pontic Army but never did.) Friends had also gathered similar forces. Then the group I gamed with lost interest in ancients and the project got 'mothballed'. But I have rekindled my ancients and medieval interests in recent years as retirement has given me the time to get those mothballed projects off the shelf and paint them. That's the plan for Spartacus anyway in 2024.

CarlL

Swampster

Quote from: CarlL on December 19, 2023, 08:02:41 PM... and make a foot version too

CarlL

Needed for the last battle at least - he killed his horse to show that he was making a stand with his men.

stevenneate

And 1st Corp do "fiery rollers"! Based on the primary source material (the movie obviously), you need a lot of fiery rollers.

Surely the command banner needs Kirk Douglas' image to inspire the troops? After all, they are ALL Spartacus.

CarlL

A possible entry indeed Steven.

I am veering more to a banner like 36a in Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars, [AMPW], by Duncan Head (drawn by Ian Heath); but with a snake alone curled or in striking pose atop of the hanging cloth depicting an image of Dionysus (aka Bacchus); given the popularity of this good with gladiators, and links to drinking (which possibly appeals to ancient Gallic and Germans  among his supporters) and the snake is often linked with the cult of Dionysus, and with the unnamed wife and seer of Spartacus.

Just a thought. (May lead to some experimentation with coils of milliput around the top of model vexillum, and finding an image or two of the head of Dionysus or Bacchus from ancient mosaic to use? Any suggestions of images that could form basis for mini portrayal please log here!)

CarlL