News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Spartacus takes the field... but not necessarily in historic fashion

Started by CarlL, December 16, 2023, 09:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlL

The following website is a good source of ancient images with each (so far as my reading of it goes) image linked to its place of finding or museum / collection.

see http://www.my-favourite-planet.de/english/people/d1/dionysus.html

CarlL

CarlL

I extracted this facial image from one of the vase images on the my favourite planet website listed above, and it provides an interesting face that could be basis of one vexillum portrait. I think the contrasts on the vases make for good or striking image potential on a small vexillum. I think I am torn between the portrayal as fun loving drinker and hardened old man who you dont want to cross, might work well.

So lets see what else we can find image wise!

CarlL

CarlL

Some other interesting depictions of Dionysus from coins, mosaic and pottery. In the Greek myths it appears that Dionysus has travelled the world to plant the grape vine and when not well received invokes madness, and death on disbelievers! So not just a god of wine and drinking orgies! In the last image severed heads appear to accompany the procession! A god the Roman Senate tried to suppress and then try to confine to non citizens in Italy.  CarlL

stevenneate

Just type in dionysus mosaic and you will be flooded with options. It was a popular subject in the mosaicist's reportoire.

Cantabrigian

If you want to go full Hollywood, you could give them big red flags...

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor