News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Several shades of grey

Started by Erpingham, January 25, 2023, 12:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

A short article from the Warhorse project on coat colours which may prove interesting for those who like their men-at-arms historically correct.  I probably have too many chestnuts/sorels, not enough greys.

Imperial Dave

very interesting but I am not changing all of my painted horses to silver grey!  ;D
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Brilliant stuff, what a good find. I wonder how long this would have persisted for?
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Nick Harbud

I'm with Dave on this.  I mean, my painting skills are simply not up to differentiating between bausan, ferrandus, grissel and lyard.  However, bays are easy and, when I was looking at this for my Bruttii nobles, were said to be in the majority.

Interesting piece though.  I wonder how much of this colour preference was limited to the royal stables and how prevalent it might have been amongst lesser ranks?

Nick Harbud

Erpingham

Bauson (or variants) is perhaps the most awkward because it means several different things.  It can mean "dark coloured with white spots" but also "with a white or white-striped face".  The word Bausond in Medieval English meant badger.  It can appear in compounds e.g. baybauson i.e. a bauson with a bay main colour.  In modern works, the Templar black and white banner Baussant is translated piebald.  And, yes, I am geeky enough to have looked this up  :)

We don't have a lot of analysis of horse colours of the rank and file that I know of, though descriptions of horses for possible compensation claims exist  from several countries.     

dwkay57

Yes, it is likely that the royals or higher echelons would have had more "heroic" colours than the usual farm horse or pony as they were probably more selective about breeding and which to keep.
If you look at recent royal parades in the UK we have the "Windsor Greys" and most of the household troops seem to ride very black mounts as I think do other display teams (e.g. RCMP)

I did read somewhere that George Custer - him of Little Big Horn fame - did try to get all the mounts within a troop of the 7th cavalry a similar shade and for each troop to have a different shade. The purpose was to be able to identify which troop was which at a distance. Not much good it did him though I hear you respond!

It is a trick I use for my 6mm so I can identify them easily on the battlefield.

David

Erpingham

QuoteYes, it is likely that the royals or higher echelons would have had more "heroic" colours than the usual farm horse or pony as they were probably more selective about breeding and which to keep.

Agreed.  Looking at equipment regulations suggests horses were specified as having a minimum value but little about colour, conformation or size.  So, for many, it was probably a question of what was available to buy.  If they were wealthier, they could go for something classier - perhaps a foreign import in a fashionable colour.  Campaigning was tough on horses and most men probably wanted an animal not too high maintenance - if you were going to take a fancy horse to war, you needed the servants to look after it. 

DougM

Quote from: Erpingham on January 26, 2023, 09:38:36 AM
QuoteYes, it is likely that the royals or higher echelons would have had more "heroic" colours than the usual farm horse or pony as they were probably more selective about breeding and which to keep.

Agreed.  Looking at equipment regulations suggests horses were specified as having a minimum value but little about colour, conformation or size.  So, for many, it was probably a question of what was available to buy.  If they were wealthier, they could go for something classier - perhaps a foreign import in a fashionable colour.  Campaigning was tough on horses and most men probably wanted an animal not too high maintenance - if you were going to take a fancy horse to war, you needed the servants to look after it.

In later periods, some regiments definitely did try and source particular colours, so famously, Scots Greys, Bays, and the black horses of Napoleonic French heavies. And trumpeters and musicians would typically have different colours again.

How long such distinctions lasted when remounts had to be sourced, is of course a good question.

Added to that, specific breeds had specific colour patterns or variants. Duns for example for British chariot ponies.

The guidance in the purple primer actually isn't too bad as a starting point.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

dwkay57

In their book "The Roman Cavalry" Dixon & Southern carry out some analysis of how replacement steeds were sourced and provided, which tends to follow the suggestions that any colour coordination would quickly break down.

They do provide case studies from later periods where whole cavalry regiments became infantry as they ran out of mounts due to various causes, including poor maintenance or care.
David

Duncan Head

Quote from: dwkay57 on January 28, 2023, 09:03:27 AMThey do provide case studies from later periods where whole cavalry regiments became infantry as they ran out of mounts due to various causes, including poor maintenance or care.
The famous example of the Balagritae that Synesius records:

"Moreover I have with me some of the corps of the Balagritae. Before Cerialis had taken over the command of the province, these men were mounted bowmen; but when he entered upon his functions, their horses were sold and they became only archers, but even as infantry they are useful to me."
Duncan Head