News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

See Puglia and die

Started by Erpingham, August 18, 2023, 02:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Another study on weapons trauma I came across today, this time from Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages in Southern Italy.

Abstract
This paper analyses the skeletal remains with signs of violence coming from some ar-
chaeological sites located in Apulia (Southern Italy) and dated between Late Antiquity
and the Early Middle Ages. The research is based on historical, archaeological, anthro-
pological and paleopathological sources and aims to determine the nature of the detect-
ed injuries. The careful recording and statistical analysis have enabled the observation of
their distribution on the bones, hypothesize the weapons used, as well as reconstruct how
injuries were inflicted and pinpoint any elements and cultural influences. In particular, a
data registration model has been developed; if accepted by the scientific community, it
would allow a homogeneous recording and database, useful for the study of traumas in
different geographical and chronological contexts. The findings have been interpreted
based on the historical events of the region and they represent the first extensive
database for the study of paleotraumatology in Apulia in this historical period. 

Not a huge sample size but an interesting range of sites.  Main takeaways

• Lots of people were hit on the head with swords, often multiple times (this fits with numerous other studies - you hit and kept hitting to make sure your man went down)
  • Arrow wounds are common. Caveat - there are no spear wounds and I suspect some misidentification.  However, quite plausible discussion of horse archery as responsible in the early period.
  • Club injuries were far more common than I expected (these are in the tables recorded as bat injuries, so our authors are thinking baseball bat type weapons, I suspect)

Imperial Dave

Club injuries? Without seeming dim, how did they identify them as that?
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on August 18, 2023, 03:24:20 PMClub injuries? Without seeming dim, how did they identify them as that?

By looking at the shape of the blunt trauma injuries.  I think that would be fairly standard in pathology. Telling the difference between a dedicated weapon and a heavy stick used ad hoc wouldn't be possible, though.

Imperial Dave

Just thinking aloud here but pommel strikes would resemble this as well as shield boss hits....?
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Possibly some but I get the idea they are seeing injuries consisted with a long weapon.  There are some "boxing" facial injuries which could represent a smash in the face with a hilt or boss, I suppose.  It's worth reading the detail of at least some of the cases, where they discuss in more detail how they reconstruct the injuries coming about.

Imperial Dave

I think I will read more into it....my interest has been piqued
Slingshot Editor

Keraunos

Quote from: Imperial Dave on August 18, 2023, 03:24:20 PMClub injuries? Without seeming dim, how did they identify them as that?
"Club injuries" - presumably arising from disputes over interpretation of rules?

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Cantabrigian

Quote from: Keraunos on August 30, 2023, 02:41:36 PM"Club injuries" - presumably arising from disputes over interpretation of rules?
You'd be amazed how much damage can be done with a skillfully wielded chocolate covered biscuit.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor