News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Later Macedonian shields

Started by Richard, August 18, 2015, 01:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I may be wrong but I have a hunch that the famous cavalry shield with the ribbed spine from the Aemilius Paulus was a Thracian shield.
Here is a link to a website with the full frieze panels. http://www.hannibalbarca.webspace.virginmedia.com/pydna-monument.htm
The picture size is small but it's difficult to get full size images on a quick Google search.

We know that Thracian cavalry served with the Macedonian army in the war and Duncan Head has talked before about the Hellenising-trend amongst the Thracians.
If you look at the middle of the second panel, there is a Macedonian-pelta behind a horseman, carried at the same height as other horsemen. I wonder therefore if the Macedonian cavalry used a larger version of the same shield as the infantry? It would make sense as Greek shields including the Macedonian-pelta had arm-grips and shield straps and would not require the adoption of an odd new shield design more consistent with Roman or Celtic patterns.
Would it be possible that the ribbed-shield was a Thracian adoption from Celtic neighbours?

Thoughts welcome

Mark G

I took that to be a tarantine (style if not actual) light horseman

Duncan Head

There are Antigonid reliefs showing ethnic Macedonian horsemen with the round ribbed shield. There are a couple illustrated in Hatzopoulos'  L'organisation de l'armĂ©e macĂ©donienne sous les Antigonides, and mentioned (but perhaps not illustrated?) in one or both of Sekunda's recent works on the army. So I think it's more likely to be a Macedonian shield.
Duncan Head

Richard

Thank you, DH! I will happily read through the French book (even with my inadequate French!).
Edit: Thank you, you were quite right! How fascinating! Do you think that the Macedonians adopted the ribbed-shield from the Galatians then?

I think this tells us we need a new edition of AMPW... (hint)

Thanks,

R

Duncan Head

Quote from: Richard on August 18, 2015, 12:04:29 PMDo you think that the Macedonians adopted the ribbed-shield from the Galatians then?
Probably, though not necessarily directly. There are several types of Hellenistic cavalry shield, and I'm not at all clear on the chronology of the different types, really. I think that I recall Sekunda suggesting somewhere that the ribbed shield is a 2nd-century innovation.

I think this tells us we need a new edition of AMPW... (hint)
Maybe when I retire. I have, as I've said here before, submitted a "changes since the 1980s" preface and an updated bibliography to WRG for addition to a reprinted edition, but all's gone dark on that front: only the new edition of Phil's AEIR is out, and no news of for instance Dark Ages, which Sue L-B was scanning when last heard.
Duncan Head

Mark G

It exists though.

Like Polybius' chapter on tactics, knowing it exists is enough for now, even if no one can see it.