News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

It's all a load of s**t! ;-)

Started by Imperial Dave, October 13, 2017, 09:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Waterson

Perhaps surprisingly for the modern era, this article does not have a sociology angle; I would have expected conjecture about slaves being the least healthy element of the population.  Instead, we get - in essence - Galen vs the baths.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Erpingham

I think it would be difficult to tell the social status of the bath users just from their turds. 

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on October 14, 2017, 09:03:28 AM
I think it would be difficult to tell the social status of the bath users just from their turds.

there's a joke in there somewhere  ;)
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Erpingham on October 14, 2017, 09:03:28 AM

But that is the whole point of scholarly scatology: to separate the fruit-eaters from the eaters of chaff, the devourers of choice cuts of meat from the gnawers of bones and imbibers of gristle stew.  Careers are built, or intended to be built, on the differentiation of rich man's and poor man's deposits and diseases as manifested in the contents of the cloaca maxima.  This, rather than illegible inscriptions and mutilated militaria, is the upcoming trend in archaeology. :)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Imperial Dave

or put another way, did you buy fresh high quality garum sauce or the cheaper dodger stuff from behind the forum?  ;)
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on October 14, 2017, 09:16:42 AM
or put another way, did you buy fresh high quality garum sauce or the cheaper dodger stuff from behind the forum?  ;)

I think by definition there is no such thing as "fresh" garum, just slightly more recent vintages :)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Dave Beatty

I was on a dig a few years ago in SE Oregon and we always got excited when a coprolite was discovered...