News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Giant Hill / Cerne Abbas

Started by Chris, May 22, 2021, 10:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

The May 24 issue of The New Yorker contains an interesting piece about the Cerne Abbas Giant in Dorset. I have not read it all, but by skimming, it appears that the latest evidence (dating the layers of chalk and snails, apparently) places the figure at around the 10th century. Also, it appears that the carving may have been "let go" and so, became hidden or obscured by vegetation, until is was cleared and essentially, redrawn or carved.

Would imagine the some of you are closer to this location that others, and especially closer than I am to it. I would also imagine that some of you are more versed in the interesting history of this particular site.

Cheers,
Chris

Duncan Head

We talked about this in http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=5244.0 - though it soon degenerated into knob jokes.
Duncan Head

Nick Harbud

Fair warning - I shall exercise my God-like powers to prevent any repeat of that descent into toilet humour.

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Quote from: NickHarbud on May 22, 2021, 12:20:43 PM
Fair warning - I shall exercise my God-like powers to prevent any repeat of that descent into toilet humour.

spoilsport  ::)
Slingshot Editor

LawrenceG

I have book (from years ago) in which the author investigated and convinced himself that it was originally created by the Ancient Britons, so I made a replica to use as terrain for my Ancient British army.

Looks like now I'll have to add a late Saxon army to my "to do" list.

Chris

Apologies are apparently in order, then, for resurrERECTing a topic that had already been discussed, even if an immature manner.

Lesson learned, though not the HARD way. In future, if I am moved to post a comment or remark or question about something found in The New Yorker or similar publication, I will search first before posting to avoid any redundancies or worse, the promotion of historical PHALLUS-cies.

Chris