News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

October 11 New York Times - Ancient Warfare & Ancient DNA

Started by Chris, October 11, 2022, 07:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

"Ancient Soldiers of Fortune, Revealed by DNA" article in October 11 New York Times - Science section

Stumbled upon this interesting if also a bit over my head summary of findings about the battles of Himera in 480 and 409 BC. Evidently, there were quite a few mercenaries - many from rather far away - who participated in this "Greek defining" clash or clashes.

Apparently, mercs are thrown into communal graves as opposed to the rites for fellow and known countrymen.

The closing quote from Dr. Kyle (anthropologist at University of Northern Colorado) was interesting. She remarked:
"We think of warfare as causing or deepening divisions between people. So it is fascinating to think of war as something that could bring people together."

There was reference to research being published last week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Worth a look, I think . . .

Cheers,
Chris

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

For an earlier report from the same site

http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=5247.msg69761

Add : Link to recent PNAS article

The diverse genetic origins of a Classical period Greek army

Jim Webster

Quote from: Chris on October 11, 2022, 07:27:41 PM

The closing quote from Dr. Kyle (anthropologist at University of Northern Colorado) was interesting. She remarked:
"We think of warfare as causing or deepening divisions between people. So it is fascinating to think of war as something that could bring people together."

The whole point of warfare is to bring people together, certainly for the purpose of filling graves. Think how many people from farm away places are buried in Flanders, or subjects of the Persian Empire in Greece

Chris

AC -
Figured that it might have been covered or at least referenced in a previous post or link. My error for not doing a thorough check.
Even so, the newer papers and theories might have some relevance or interest.

JW -
That is an interesting if a bit dark argument. Your points about Flanders and the Persian empire are well made/taken. I wonder if the good doctor earned similar comments/rebuttal from her peers?
I would respectfully submit that there are points to warfare, to waging war. I think lumping this particular social interaction under one single point or category is risky. Worth thinking more about though.

Cheers all,
Chris

Erpingham

Quote from: Chris on October 12, 2022, 04:15:38 PM
AC -
Figured that it might have been covered or at least referenced in a previous post or link. My error for not doing a thorough check.
Even so, the newer papers and theories might have some relevance or interest.

Cheers all,
Chris

No criticism, Chris.  Just, if someone is reading this and wants to read some other stuff, useful to put a link in to the earlier debate.  Personally, I'm glad your got us updated with the new study.  Burials of war casualties and what they tell us about the "face of battle" interest me.