News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

History of mules

Started by davidb, September 29, 2022, 01:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidb

I was looking for information on pack animals and I came across this.  I thought people might be interested.

https://www.mulemuseum.org/history-of-the-mule.html

Jim Webster

Quote from: davidb on September 29, 2022, 01:20:50 AM
I was looking for information on pack animals and I came across this.  I thought people might be interested.

https://www.mulemuseum.org/history-of-the-mule.html

Fascinating

Swampster

The Paphlagonian mules may not have been mules, i.e. not hybrids. Pliny mentions that Cappadocian mules are actually a distinct type of animal. The Paphlagonian thing seem to come from Homer - there is a paper from 1965 about whether Homer's mules were actually another equid.

Nick Harbud

Those interested in the handling of mules might like to read Fergal Keane's book "Road of Bones" that details the Japanese offensive around Kohima and Imphal in 1944.  At one stage, the British found it necessary to transfer an infantry brigade from the southern end of the front to the northern end.  To do so, Mountbatten commandeered all transport aircraft (including Amercan planes normally used to resupply Merril's Marauders, much to the latter's disgust) to airlift, not only the infantrymen, but also their mules that constituted their primary supply mechanism.

Mules can be awkward beasts at the best of times and require continuity of handlers if one is to extract even a modicum of cooperation.  In particular, they are definitely wary of getting into aircraft, presumably on the rational grounds that if God intended mules to fly, He would have given them wings.  Very intelligent animals, mules.  So ramps were constructed and two rings welded to the airframe on either side of the cargo loading doors.  To load a mule, a loop of rope was passed around its hind quarters and through the rings on the aircraft.  Everyone pulled and the mule was shot into the aircraft irrespective of any concerns it might have for the forthcoming journey.  Once the plane started its take-off run, it could be guaranteed that every mule on board would void its bowels.  The more excitable ones would completely freak out and the only solution at this point would be a bullet to the head, for which purpose a revolver was kept to hand.

And everyone tells me how stressful it can be working at McDonalds.....

:(
Nick Harbud

Jim Webster

Quote from: NickHarbud on September 29, 2022, 03:01:45 PM
Those interested in the handling of mules might like to read Fergal Keane's book "Road of Bones" that details the Japanese offensive around Kohima and Imphal in 1944.  At one stage, the British found it necessary to transfer an infantry brigade from the southern end of the front to the northern end.  To do so, Mountbatten commandeered all transport aircraft (including Amercan planes normally used to resupply Merril's Marauders, much to the latter's disgust) to airlift, not only the infantrymen, but also their mules that constituted their primary supply mechanism.

Mules can be awkward beasts at the best of times and require continuity of handlers if one is to extract even a modicum of cooperation.  In particular, they are definitely wary of getting into aircraft, presumably on the rational grounds that if God intended mules to fly, He would have given them wings.  Very intelligent animals, mules.  So ramps were constructed and two rings welded to the airframe on either side of the cargo loading doors.  To load a mule, a loop of rope was passed around its hind quarters and through the rings on the aircraft.  Everyone pulled and the mule was shot into the aircraft irrespective of any concerns it might have for the forthcoming journey.  Once the plane started its take-off run, it could be guaranteed that every mule on board would void its bowels.  The more excitable ones would completely freak out and the only solution at this point would be a bullet to the head, for which purpose a revolver was kept to hand.

And everyone tells me how stressful it can be working at McDonalds.....

:(

to be fair, McDonald's staff are not allowed the revolver

Mark G

You've not been to some of the ones near me.

Dave Knight

I expect that McDonald's staff are allowed guns in parts of the US

Erpingham

Quote from: Dave Knight on September 30, 2022, 08:38:53 PM
I expect that McDonald's staff are allowed guns in parts of the US

Do they have signs saying "Any customer voiding their bowels in the queue is liable to be shot" though?

Nick Harbud

Not sure about that.   ???

On some of the freeways around Houston I remember seeing signs suggesting that everyone should 'Drive friendly', which I thought were quite cute until I witnessed one guy put a shot across the bows of a vehicle in the nearside lane so that he could exit from the next off-ramp.

:o :o :o
Nick Harbud

DBS

Quote from: NickHarbud on September 29, 2022, 03:01:45 PM

More recently, mules were sometimes flown in RAF Chinooks to support infantry patrols in the Afghan mountains.
David Stevens

Nick Harbud

Did the Chinooks require any modification to load or fly with the mules?
Nick Harbud

DBS

Quote from: NickHarbud on October 03, 2022, 08:57:25 AM
As far as I know, they simply rigged canvas stalls inside using the lashing points.  What I cannot remember is whether the Army vets were able to do anything about hearing protection for the animals, given the appalling noise levels in large helicopters.

If I can find the CD backup disc, somewhere I have a photo or two of the mules being loaded onto Dakotas in India during either Imphal/Kohima or Chindit ops.
David Stevens

Jim Webster

Quote from: DBS on October 03, 2022, 09:59:03 AM
Quote from: NickHarbud on October 03, 2022, 08:57:25 AM
As far as I know, they simply rigged canvas stalls inside using the lashing points.  What I cannot remember is whether the Army vets were able to do anything about hearing protection for the animals, given the appalling noise levels in large helicopters.

Not saying this is the answer used but they have 'fly masks' for race horses who do fly abroad to races