News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

How tall were medieval people

Started by Erpingham, October 24, 2022, 04:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Medieval people are well known to be smaller than us, right?  Just look at all those small doorways in old houses.  Well, here is a new study from Norway which suggests they weren't that very different to us.  Certainly to me, who is around 5ft 9in or 175cm. 

Andreas Johansson

Noticeably shorter than modern Norwegians, though, who tend to be a tall lot.

If the time curve in Norway is like that in Sweden, medieval people were relatively tall, their Early Modern descendants got progressively shorter - probably due to a dietary shift from meat and dairy to cereals - and then heights increase again from the 19C.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 46 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Swampster

There is a summary of a paper comparing height in English populations over the last 2000 years. I haven't looked at the actual paper to see how the different classes compare, but the finding s are broadly similar.
There is variation over time but a lot more of a roller coaster than I thought - higher points in Roman times, the 12th century and the 16th century with lows particularly in the 14th and 18th/early 19th.

Imperial Dave

come to Wales, we are mostly short houses
Slingshot Editor

Hannipaul

I think Peter's point about variations over time and regions is well supported. The minimum height for a French conscript into the Revolutionary Army was 1.5 Metres (5 foot 1 inch) with evidence that was after a period in decline in the health and height of the general population, with  a recovery in both occuring later in the 19th Century.