News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Orkney Neolithic tomb (re)discovered

Started by Duncan Head, October 23, 2023, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Ian61

Great find. I have always been impressed with the Orkney stonework. I have visited some of the sites up there and the stonework impresses far more in real life than in photographs.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

DBS

Interesting that they think they have identified a stone mace head.  I do not know enough about the European neolithic, but in the Near East neolithic period, the mace head is regarded as one of the markers par excellence for warfare as it is pretty much a single purpose martial weapon - arrow or javelin or spear tips might be used for warfare but are also very obvious hunting weapons, knives and axe heads are useful utilitarian tools, but the only reason for a mace head is to bash some poor devil on the head.  Even a royal status symbol (eg Egypt) is assumed to derive from said function, witness the smiting scenes...
David Stevens

Erpingham

Quote from: DBS on October 24, 2023, 11:48:15 AMI do not know enough about the European neolithic, but in the Near East neolithic period, the mace head is regarded as one of the markers par excellence for warfare as it is pretty much a single purpose martial weapon

As I recall, mace heads in the British Neolithic would normally be considered prestige items, potentially related to leadership. Some are more potentially functional than others.  They also found a stone ball, a mysterious object which is thought to have a ceremonial function. How these fitted into society is, of course, keeps archaeologists in employment  :)

DBS

Quote from: Erpingham on October 24, 2023, 12:03:08 PMAs I recall, mace heads in the British Neolithic would normally be considered prestige items, potentially related to leadership.
Question of course is on what basis, other than "what is definitely a leadership/prestige item at Abydos is probably a leadership/prestige item at Scapa Flow"?  Level of craftsmanship invested in the item might be a good indicator, but even then, on long dark nights in the Orkneys, even more humble members of the community might have got decorative...
David Stevens