News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Stonehenge mince pies

Started by Duncan Head, December 01, 2021, 12:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBS

I have seen some desperate press releases in my career, believe me, but I think English Heritage have just set a new standard by which PR desperation can and should be judged...  :D
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Aetius

Would like to try the recipe even though it is not authentic...

John

Erpingham

Quote from: Aetius on December 01, 2021, 03:36:15 PM

John

I suspect that, with access to a supermarket, you'll have more success making these in midwinter than a Neolithic person would.  Also, your electric fan oven will be rather more controllable than whatever "oven" a Neolithic person could put together .  A upturned pot on a stone covered in embers?

Mick Hession

Quote from: Erpingham on December 01, 2021, 04:43:04 PM
Quote from: Aetius on December 01, 2021, 03:36:15 PM

John

I suspect that, with access to a supermarket, you'll have more success making these in midwinter than a Neolithic person would.  Also, your electric fan oven will be rather more controllable than whatever "oven" a Neolithic person could put together .  A upturned pot on a stone covered in embers?

An earth oven https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_oven needs even less kit. And if a Neolithic potter can fire a pot I suspect they'd manage pastry somehow.

Cheers
Mick

Jim Webster

I'm not sure the last time I saw 'could' and 'may' so often in such a short article!

DBS

I strongly suspect that if a Neolithic person had arrived at Stonehenge with a few mince pies or energy bars, when everyone else had turned up with a herd of pigs for the feast, there would have been no problem selecting who was going to be spread-eagled on the Altar Stone that solstice.  :o
David Stevens

Mark G

Especially if they were mince pies from Tesco. 

Now if he had gotten the good ones from Sainsbury, it might have been a harder choice

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor