News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Hittite tree study

Started by Mark G, February 09, 2023, 07:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark G

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/08/ancient-hittite-empire-tree-study-drought?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Hope that works.

Apparently, studying trees suggests a drought coincided with the destruction of the Hittites. 

Usually it's throwing a succession of 1s that coincides with the destruction of my Hittites, but I think they mean drought of rain, not drought of sixes.

Duncan Head

Yes, I saw this; the original study is open-access at https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05693-y

"The Hittite collapse forms part of a wider set of changes occurring across the Old World around 1200 BC. Climate alone was not the sole cause of these changes..." but they seem to think it is a pretty major one, especially for the Hittites. I've heard drought proposed before as a cause of the Bronze Age collapse, IRC, but it's nice to have some solid data.
Duncan Head

Andreas Johansson

Drought was Manuel Robbins' favoured explanation in Collapse of the Bronze Age. FWIW, I didn't find his arguments too convincing.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 46 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Jon Freitag

Fascinating study.  Comprehensive analytics too.  Thanks for sharing.

The juniper trees thought to make up King Midas' tomb are a gift that keeps on giving.  These same timbers were used to date the volcanic eruption on Theras to 1560 BCE.

Mark G

I still think they are not paying sufficient attention to rolling a succession of 1s

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Mark G on February 09, 2023, 06:58:30 PM
I still think they are not paying sufficient attention to rolling a succession of 1s

Well, you need to find rules in which 1's are good and 6's are bad.

Mark G

Oooh, now there's out of the box thinking.

DBS

Quote from: Mark G on February 09, 2023, 06:58:30 PM
Or maybe the Sea Peoples were the ones rolling sixes?
David Stevens