News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Facial reconstructions of centuries-old Edinburgh-dwellers released

Started by Imperial Dave, March 25, 2021, 12:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

I always wonder how accurate these reconstructions are. As an experiment, I would like to give the same skull to several entirely unrelated experts and see what they come up with. Betcha it won't the be the same or even similar.

Erpingham

Quote from: Justin Swanton on March 25, 2021, 01:15:09 PM
I always wonder how accurate these reconstructions are. As an experiment, I would like to give the same skull to several entirely unrelated experts and see what they come up with. Betcha it won't the be the same or even similar.

I remember seeing this done once for, I think, a TV documentary.  The results were broadly similar but that's because the underlying model for e.g. tissue depth at certain points is the same.  Some things are always speculative, like ears.  These days, you can check DNA for things like skin, eye and hair colour though I've noticed some places use black and white reconstruction images where this hasn't been done (making it look even more like a Police wanted person poster).

Imperial Dave

there will always be an element of interpretation but it is interesting.....
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

QuoteEarly forensic analysis indicates that the woman may have suffered from nutritional deficiencies.

Evidentally the deep-fried Mars bar was a feature of Scottish diet much earlier than previously thought....

:P
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

...and did you like the way they managed to reconstruct the Hearts tattoo?

:P
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor