News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Which armies used kite shields?

Started by Dave Beatty, October 28, 2013, 05:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beatty

Hi,

I have just acquired a load of Norman 25mm figures, and am curious what other armies used the "Norman" style kite shield?

Erpingham

Quote from: Dave Beatty on October 28, 2013, 05:34:26 PM
Hi,

I have just acquired a load of Norman 25mm figures, and am curious what other armies used the "Norman" style kite shield?

Western European Medieval Armies from 1000-1200 would be a good starting place, including when these folks went on Crusade.  Lots of others also used kite shields but didn't look much like Normans (at this scale at least) e.g. Russians, Byzantines.  Kite shields probably hung on with the infantry longer than the cavalry - by 1150 the knight's shield would be a flat topped kite, visually distinct from you classic round topped Norman, shifting to heater shapes early in the 13th century.

Justin Swanton

Incidentally, what was the benefit of a kite-shape shield?

Mick Hession

A good cover:weight ratio, I'd say. Long oblong shields like the Roman scutum have 50% of their weight protecting a pretty narrow target area, the legs. Kite shapes provide adequate protection there for far less weight.

Cheers
Mick

Nick Harbud

I am under the impression that kite shields were used earlier than 1000 AD, being used by Vikings, Anglo-Danish, later Anglo-Saxon, Carolingians and sundry others.  However, please do not ask me give you chapter and verse on the sources for this information.

Have you looked at the various illustrations in "Armies of the Dark Ages" or other books in this series?

Mick's points on the weight advantages of kite over circular or oval shields is also my understanding.  However, there are other factors to consider.  Recent reconstructions (and subsequent destructive testing of the same) lead me to believe kites might not be as strong as the circular variety, which seems to have derived a significant amount of strength from the leather binding around its rim.  Also, as a couple of contributors have pointed out elsewhere, reenactors are demonstrating that shields could have a more sophisticated role to play in combat than simply absorbing enemy blows.

Anyone who knows more about this subject, please contribute.
Nick Harbud

Erpingham

Quote from: NickHarbud on November 11, 2013, 04:37:27 PM
I am under the impression that kite shields were used earlier than 1000 AD, being used by Vikings, Anglo-Danish, later Anglo-Saxon, Carolingians and sundry others.  However, please do not ask me give you chapter and verse on the sources for this information.

Recall that we are looking for things to do with Norman figures.  I am still not convinced that kite shields are widespread much before 1000 in western Europe - 950 at the earliest.  If anyone can help Nick with his chapter and verse on an earlier use, I'd be interested.

Duncan Head

The earliest depiction of the kite-shield in Western Europe may be German, a mailed spearman on foot in the Gospels of Otto III (983-991) - see Oakeshott The Archaeology of Weapons fig.81, Ian Heath Dark Ages 2nd ed., fig. 61; and an unarmoured counterpart at 62.

I can't think of any Anglo-Saxon examples except the Bayeux Tapestry, though Heath says "in use in England from 1000". I don't think there are any in Scandinavian art until the 12th century: there are saga references that sound as if they're talking about kite shields at an earlier date, but they aren't written down till the 13th century, so may not be reliable.

In Spain there are a few in the Roda Bible, mixed with far more round shields - http://warfare.likamva.in/6C-11C/Roda_Bible.htm or Heath fig.136 - but that looks as if it's no earlier than c.1050 and I can't think of any earlier examples.
Duncan Head

Erpingham

We could add the Apocalypse of Saint Sever as a mid-11th French reference, with its lovely little shieldwall.  The men in this are clearly not elite mercenaries or knights, suggesting, like the bayeux tapestry, that the kite shield has reach a wide acceptance by this stage.  But images persist of round shielded armoured troops, on foot or mounted, into 12th century so quite a long cross over period.

Dave Beatty

Many thanks for all the ideas and sources!

Duncan Head

The German kite-shielded figures that I mentioned are now illustrated and discussed by Druzhina - see http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=347720. It looks as if Ian Heath's date for the original illustrations may be too early; I'm not sure if this puts back the date for the adoption of the kite shield in Germany, or if there are other early examples.
Duncan Head

Robert Heiligers

As Duncan already stated by referring to the Roda Bible, in the 11th century Iberian Christian knights used shields that were either kite-shaped or round.

I imagine that kite-shields offered maximum protection to cavalry, especially when fighting infantry. I also think the pointed part of the shield was used as an offensive weapon, both by, as well as against both cavalry and infantry.
Robert

Erpingham

Quote from: Robert Heiligers on May 30, 2014, 05:21:34 PM
I imagine that kite-shields offered maximum protection to cavalry, especially when fighting infantry. I also think the pointed part of the shield was used as an offensive weapon, both by, as well as against both cavalry and infantry.

I think I would go with the origin theory already refered to by Mick - a kite shield has the advantage an oblong or oval shield does in protecting the legs but with less weight.  It is possible that the point was used aggressively - shields seem to have been used offensively - but I don't recall having seen anything that specifically mentions this.

andrew881runner

carolingii used kite shields in 9th century. Try Google images.

Duncan Head

I don't think so. Perhaps you would like to indicate a particular source: certainly googling "carolingian kite shield" doesn't bring up anything of interest.

"Unfortunately, written sources give no indication as to the size, shape, or construction of Frankish shields, but miniatures and ivories consistently portray a single type of shield, carried by both infantry and cavalry. Round and concave, the shield appears to have been about 0.8 m. in diameter, protecting the body from the neck to the thighs." - "Carolingian Arms and Armor in the Ninth Century", Simon Coupland, Viator: Medieval and Renaissance Studies: v.21 (1990).
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Quote from: andrew881runner on July 15, 2014, 12:38:24 PM
carolingii used kite shields in 9th century. Try Google images.
Do you have a particular image in mind?  As mentioned previously in this thread, it is widely believed that the Franks develop/adopt kite shields under the Ottonian kings in the 10th century.   It would be useful to see the image in context to judge whether the dating is secure.