News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

What Adhesive do People Use for Assembling Models?

Started by eques, February 25, 2016, 09:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on February 27, 2016, 09:32:33 AM
I suspect their sales training suggests different approaches to different demographics.  As an obviously old person, they just need to check whether I want some GW-universe product as a gift for the grandchildren and am worth investing the patter in.  If not, just accept a quick sale to keep the tills churning :)

I suspect you're right. I don't go in often but confuse them because I can remember the original 40k set of rules, Rogue Trader

Imperial Dave

and I can remember (and still have) the original Warhammer rules Jim :)
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on February 27, 2016, 04:28:01 PM
and I can remember (and still have) the original Warhammer rules Jim :)

I still have them as well.
Looking at the ranges and the importance of melee I was told that they originally evolved from a set of pike and shot rules  8)

Jim

Imperial Dave

I bought my set purely to refight Battle of Pelennor Fields....but used them for Medieval stuff too :)
Slingshot Editor

Mark G

If you are doing plastics, you must try the brush on dope.

It sort of melts it together.

Imperial Dave

Modelling dope is evil stuff Mark. I can still remember the fumes from when I used to build tissue and balsa wood gliders
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on February 28, 2016, 07:19:37 AM
Modelling dope is evil stuff Mark. I can still remember the fumes from when I used to build tissue and balsa wood gliders

All he remembers is the fumes, after that it becomes hazy what with the pink whales chasing him round the garden and turning into bowls of petunias  8)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on February 28, 2016, 08:46:10 AM

All he remembers is the fumes, after that it becomes hazy what with the pink whales chasing him round the garden and turning into bowls of petunias  8)

Um....and that your honour is the case for the defence  ::)
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on February 28, 2016, 11:14:43 AM
Quote from: Jim Webster on February 28, 2016, 08:46:10 AM

Um....and that your honour is the case for the defence  ::)

8)

Mark G

Nick Harbud

Quote from: Erpingham on February 27, 2016, 08:36:21 AM
Quote from: eques on February 26, 2016, 11:20:37 PM

They sold me some brush on Superglue, and a bottle of adhesive for plastics with a very long, thin applicator.  Both of which have so far proved worth their weight in gold (£4.30 each).

If the plastic glue is like the revell version, the thin metal tube clogs easily.  Neat trick I found in a modelling magazine is to remove tube and place over naked flame, which burns off the blockage.  Wait to cool, replace tube.

The carefree way in which people apply naked flames to substances never ceases to amaze me.  ::)  I mean, I know it's only a single tube, but have you seen what can happen when it all goes wrong with glue?   

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2012/04/23/national/one-dead-22-hurt-as-glue-factory-blows/#.VtR49tCH7Oc

The moral being, don't try this at home.....   
Nick Harbud

Erpingham

I won't mention the heating and flattening of pins to make spears then :)

phlogiston

Araldite. Tough stuff, fills in gaps and you can see it.

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Swampster

Quote from: NickHarbud on February 29, 2016, 05:04:19 PM
Quote from: Erpingham on February 27, 2016, 08:36:21 AM
Quote from: eques on February 26, 2016, 11:20:37 PM

They sold me some brush on Superglue, and a bottle of adhesive for plastics with a very long, thin applicator.  Both of which have so far proved worth their weight in gold (£4.30 each).

If the plastic glue is like the revell version, the thin metal tube clogs easily.  Neat trick I found in a modelling magazine is to remove tube and place over naked flame, which burns off the blockage.  Wait to cool, replace tube.

The carefree way in which people apply naked flames to substances never ceases to amaze me.  ::)  I mean, I know it's only a single tube, but have you seen what can happen when it all goes wrong with glue?   

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2012/04/23/national/one-dead-22-hurt-as-glue-factory-blows/#.VtR49tCH7Oc

The moral being, don't try this at home.....

It isn't as bad as that.
The Revell glue is in a sort of plastic bottle with a long metal tube protruding. If this is blocked, you take off the whole metal tube and, as mentioned, hold that over a flame. The (tiny) solidified blockage vaporises and burns off. The flame isn't anywhere near the rest of the glue (unless you _really_ want it to be).