News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Advice Needed: Cloudy Sealant

Started by eques, April 25, 2016, 01:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eques

On a recent batch of sealant spraying, the finish came out a little cloudy (although happily still just about presentable).  I think the room was a little too cold when I did it.

My question is, do you have any tips to remedy, or at least ameliorate it?  Maybe spray some gloss on top?

(I mean for this particular batch)

Thanks

Harry

Duncan Head

There's a blog entry at https://johnswargames.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/crisis-averted/ which reports solving the problem by spraying another coat over the top, and suggests that the cause may be humidity.
Duncan Head

eques

Prufrock

If it was a matte spray, try a gloss spray over it to get rid of the cloudiness. Then matte spray again when it's less humid. Good luck!

Martin Smith

Always worth heating the area before spraying- I put a heater in the shed for a while before I matt spray varnish. Otherwise, yes the humidity can cause 'bloom'. Ruined an army in the past that way, and every now and then someone asks about the issue, so it's not uncommon.
Martin
Martin
u444

Richard Lockwood

I had the same problem when using the Army Painter Matt Varnish some time ago. I emailed the Army Painter chaps, who suggested I try painting the figures with a very light coat of...olive oil!

I tried it. It worked.

But please don't take this as a guarantee it will work for you! If you try it then I strongly recommend you try if first on just a single figure, and preferably a single figure that you like least!

dwkay57

I had a similar problem when spraying matt varnish in the cold. I think I raised the matter in the figure painting forum and was suggested to over varnish in gloss, which worked.
I now brush gloss all my figures and have as yet not had the problem I used to with old Humbrol enamels where the metallic colours used to run.
David