News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Commagene

Started by Dave Knight, July 30, 2016, 02:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Knight

Looking at potential opponents for DBA Early Imperial Roman the Commagene list looks interesting.  I am having difficulty finding information on what the troops looked like - can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ideas for 25mm or smaller 28mm figures or good proxies would also be appreciated

Darklinger

I think the best you can do is look at the remarkable sculptures of Mount Nemrut, dedicated by King Antiochus. As well as the famous heads including the one which embodies Commagene as a Goddess, there are relief sculptures showing the dress of these peoples.
Am sorry I have no idea which are thought to be the best miniatures though - would also be interested..... the culture was half Iranic, half Hellenic, as you probably know.
Hwaer cwom mearg, hwaer cwom mago?

dwkay57

I built a small 25mm Commagene army during the early 80s based on the Asiatic allies section of Imperial Roman Army list in the WRG Book 2 (Jan 1982), but never really used it.

This has: some Hellenic looking heavy cavalry; some Parthian cataphracts; some Macedonian phalangites and a mix of Persian / Palmyran foot and horse archers.

I've now built a slightly larger, but smaller 6mm version of that army and used the same principles for choosing the figures, except that the foot archers are tunic clad.

How realistic either of these are, I've no idea but it sort of feels right for the period and the influencing factors.

David

Dave Knight

Thanks David - I will try something similar

Jim Webster

I used a mixture of Hellenistic troops (Tarentines, Thureophoroi etc), Roman (the pseudo legionaries, Irregular in 15mm do a nice one with more eastern helmets) and Asiatic, the archers and horse archers

It was more an army I could put together out of other stuff than an army I purchased  8)
Jim

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Dave Knight

Some more food for thought

My Seleucid levy bow would probably do for the archers and I can cover the other options fairly easily with one exception.  Imitation legionaries should probably be in mail.  I may need to source some of these but as we are talking DBA I only need 8 figures (25mm)

Jim Webster

Quote from: Dave Knight on August 03, 2016, 09:22:44 PM
Some more food for thought

My Seleucid levy bow would probably do for the archers and I can cover the other options fairly easily with one exception.  Imitation legionaries should probably be in mail.  I may need to source some of these but as we are talking DBA I only need 8 figures (25mm)

I particularly like the Irregular Miniatures figure RC109  Legionary in `eastern' helmet, i.e. imitation Legionary

The figure is standing resting his left arm on the top of his shield in a 'come here if you think you're hard enough' pose  8)