News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Pharaoh Seqenenre Tao "executed by captors"

Started by Duncan Head, February 18, 2021, 11:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck the Grey

An interesting article Duncan, thank you for sharing. I would like to have their findings and materials reviewed by a qualified forensic pathologist and/or forensic anthropologist to confirm their analysis of the remains. Color me skeptical, but there are to many examples of sensational theories being put forward that can't be substantiated by additional analysis. This happens in all eras of historical research. I'm not saying that their conclusions are wrong, but independent confirmation would be nice.

Erpingham

What surprised me a bit with this is I'm sure I saw a documentary that made the same claims several years ago.

Jim Webster

I did wonder if it was all a bit Richard IIIrd

DBS

My gravest reason for doubting this is the question regarding how his body was then retrieved in a sufficiently prompt manner to allow meaningful embalming?  After all, if you are the Hyksos, and have just captured and executed an upstart Theban pharaoh, are you really likely then to hand the body back for a royal burial?  After all, Pharaohs tended to hang the bodies of slain enemy kings and chieftains from the prow of their ships when returning from campaign, not hand them over to Mrs Nubian Queen with a chivalric apology for having had to bash hubby's brains out with a mace because that is what tradition demands.  And look embarrassed when she asks where his penis is.  Blasted battlefield accountancy requirement, madam, sorry.  Probably in that basket over there, with several hundred others, would you be able to recognise it?

As for the "wounds matched to known Hyksos weapons...  that requires a) an assumption that you have accurately assumed this or that surviving weapon to have been Hyksos; and b) that Hyksos are Hyksos, if you see what I mean... really Asiatics, as opposed to all the Egyptians who are recorded as serving the Hyksos.
David Stevens