News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

SLAVishly following forum protocol - article on gunpowder composition

Started by Tim, November 28, 2017, 07:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

In another thread there was divergence into a discussion of Gunpowder that got onto to quality of production etc.  In the latest issue of the Pike and Shot Society journal, Arquebusier there is an article talking about the composition and production of Gunpowder.  Most of it covers our era but some does go up to the 1640s.  It had interesting things to note about ratios, dry components settling and relative burn speeds.  Not of interest to early Slavs but possibly of interest to those who dabble in the later years of our period.

Patrick Waterson

Presumably noting the progression from mix-your-own-on-the-spot to serpentine powder to wet-mixed to corned and the various different formulae all groping toward the eventual (British) perfection of 75/15/10.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Tim

Patrick

Almost spot on - the British perfection actually has further refinement but rounds to those numbers.  (It was my sort of article as 75% was not close enough - 74.96% or whatever - was the sort of precision I like).

Patrick Waterson

A connoisseur's article, then, Tim.  Not that I would expect less from the Pike and Shot Society.

Of interest for our period would be the significant improvement in propellant capability once powder began being wet-mixed and corned.  Not only did it provide more energy (allowing a smaller charge, or more power from the same size charge) but it burnt more consistently, so that by the early 15th century there was some point to aiming. :)

Hussite armies were the first to benefit significantly from corned powder.  They showed what handguns and self-propelled artillery could do on the battlefield, and have graced the occasional wargames table.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill