News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Sea level changes destroyed societies 2000 years ago

Started by Imperial Dave, December 25, 2023, 09:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on December 30, 2023, 11:00:15 AMGoats cheese for ne

Agreed, though my other half doesn't like goats cheese, so rather rules it out. Figs, goats cheese and nuts is a pretty plausible Roman snack.  Perhaps with honey - they liked cheese and honey.

Ian61

Sorry Anthony, siding with Dave here, neither wife or I like blue cheeses much but fine with most others and I do like a goats cheese.  :)

We actually have a drying tower device we use to dry apple slices and other fruit (daughter also uses it to dry lambs heart treats for the dog) we intend to try this next year as a way to stop the figs going mouldy on keeping any length of time as we have discovered they do very easily. An advantage that the Romans had is they would have used the Mediterranean sun for this. Not sure I would try that here.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Imperial Dave

We have an air fryer that has that function. Might have to try it out

Love a fig mind. Once I start it's hard to stop

Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Quote from: Ian61 on December 30, 2023, 11:15:50 AMWe actually have a drying tower device we use to dry apple slices and other fruit (daughter also uses it to dry lambs heart treats for the dog)

Turning lambs into dog treats seems pretty heartless to me.   :(
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Keraunos

Coming back to this thread it took me a while to figure out how it moved from coastal inundation to blue cheese, goats cheese and lambs hearts!  Gardeners across the ages have tried hard to get figs to grow well in England.  Sometimes climatic variation has helped, as in the early Roman period and the 13th Century.  Corners of south facing walls have been a common resort at other times, but crops have always been uncertain.  If the sun shines favourably, the squirrels usually get to the fruit first in my mother's experience.

Erpingham

Fig trees are surprisingly tough.  We have one which does fine 1000ft up in Yorkshire, but it doesn't fruit.

Cantabrigian

Quote from: Imperial Dave on December 30, 2023, 11:21:57 AMLove a fig mind. Once I start it's hard to stop

I'm told prunes can have a similar effect.

Imperial Dave

Useful as a substitute for cough medicine I find....
Slingshot Editor