News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Discovery of First Anglo-Saxon Cemetary in West Yorkshire

Started by Nick Harbud, March 13, 2023, 10:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Harbud

See this report from Auntie https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-64917979

Apparently, the site contains both late Roman graves (oriented East-West) and early Anglo-Saxon ones (oriented North-South).

Of course, as no other Anglo-Saxon cemetaries have been found in this part of the world, one wonders what the West Yorkshire communities did with all their dead Anglo-Saxons before and after this period.  Bury them elsewhere?  Leave them for the birds to pick over the corpses?    ???
Nick Harbud

Erpingham

QuoteOf course, as no other Anglo-Saxon cemetaries have been found in this part of the world, one wonders what the West Yorkshire communities did with all their dead Anglo-Saxons before and after this period.

I don't think we have much physical evidence of Anglo-Saxon settlement.  Plenty of placenames, not much physical.  Some of the church sites probably have AS origins (Bradford cathedral has fragments of an AS preaching cross, for example) so the slightly later Christian population may be mixed into those graveyards.

Anton

Aha, the plot thins!

The Guardian pop up told me I was one of their top global readers.  Boy, are they in trouble.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor