News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Lake Peipus 1242 AD

Started by Erpingham, May 05, 2024, 02:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

While not strictly meeting the criteria for this section, this article contains the relevant source materials and a discussion of them.

ALEXANDER NEVSKII'S "BATTLE ON THE ICE": THE CREATION OF A LEGEND
DONALD OSTROWSKI
Russian History, Vol. 33, No. 2/4, "Festschrift" for NORMAN W. INGHAM (SUMMER-FALL-WINTER 2006 / ÉTÉ-AUTOMNE-HIVER 2006), pp. 289-312

This article is hosted on Jstor.  At the time of writing, it was accessible for free online reading.

This article appealed because of my interest in how the myths of medieval warfare grow up. Here we have a breakdown of how a story evolves within medieval sources, the development of an accepted version and then, due to a dramatic intervention (in this case literally - a film), the main focus of the narrative changes completely.

Keraunos

Quote from: Erpingham on May 05, 2024, 02:02:20 PMThis article appealed because of my interest in how the myths of medieval warfare grow up. Here we have a breakdown of how a story evolves within medieval sources, the development of an accepted version and then, due to a dramatic intervention (in this case literally - a film), the main focus of the narrative changes completely.

Thank you.  I share your interest in the development of myths and find this article fascinating, particularly the reveal at the end! 

Nick Harbud

I think one of you needs to write a Slingshot article on this subject.  Something along the lines of how film makers never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  I remember Slingshot 196 contained a wonderful demolition job on Braveheart.  So, it is about time Eisenstein received the same treatment.

Nick Harbud

Erpingham

Quote from: Nick Harbud on May 06, 2024, 08:55:40 AMI remember Slingshot 196 contained a wonderful demolition job on Braveheart. 

I also remember that, although Braveheart is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. It should come with a disclaimer "Any resemblance between this story and the historical record is purely accidental".

Ian61

An LP of Prokofiev's evocative music for the film was one of the first in my collection, I suppose I have to think of this as being in the fantasy section now. :-\ 
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Nick Harbud

Well, you might be in good company regarding the music.  The Russian side tended to bring along musical instruments, bells, etc, to stiffen the troops enough to stand a load of Teutonic Knights charging down upon them.  There is even mention of one battle being won by the music from a Russian organ.

Vunder Veapons indeed!

:P
Nick Harbud

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Nick Harbud on May 06, 2024, 12:42:39 PMThere is even mention of one battle being won by the music from a Russian organ.

Vunder Veapons indeed!

:P
The origin of the famous Stalin's Organ, the latter however not so well adapted for use in a church.

Cantabrigian

Quote from: Justin Swanton on May 06, 2024, 12:59:12 PMThe origin of the famous Stalin's Organ, the latter however not so well adapted for use in a church.

Stalin might have disagreed with you on that...

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Cantabrigian on Today at 08:34:41 AM
Quote from: Justin Swanton on May 06, 2024, 12:59:12 PMThe origin of the famous Stalin's Organ, the latter however not so well adapted for use in a church.

Stalin might have disagreed with you on that...
Oh, I wouldn't have argued with him. The Organs of State Security would have cut the discussion short anyway....

Cantabrigian

Probably a good point to mention the excellent "Death of Stalin" film - a comedy that probably gave you a better feel for the subject than any serious film would.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

One just as good in my opinion is Red Monarch. You can see the full movie on YouTube.

Ehrrmm....now....where were we? Oh, yes, Mediaeval warfare....