News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Reenactors and the UK scene - weblinks

Started by Imperial Dave, May 12, 2014, 03:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

This reminds me of this Battle of the Bulge video. German leather boots were simpler in design than American ones, and had the rough side of the leather on the inside. The US boots were more sophisticated in design with the rough side outwards so the waterproofing wax could be absorbed by the leather -  but they didn't work. Result: thousands of American troops were put out of action by trench foot in the cold damp conditions of the Ardennes. The Germans were fine.

Imperial Dave

Interestingly, if you completely waterproof a boot, you can also increase the chance of trenchfoot because the boots cannot "breathe" ie your feet stew in their own sweat. This can be offset by having good socks (wool) and regular "airing" of feet

Lessons learnt very early on when I first took up hill walking. Interestingly and completely off topic but I now walk in trail shoes with wool socks in all but the worst of weather conditions when out walking in the hills.  :)
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Ironically, I tend to walk in wellington boots, partially because I spend so much of my life in them.

Because of the 'open' nature of wellingtons you get more air movement round your feet than you do with laced boots.
Also perhaps more importantly, stop for a brew and in twenty seconds you can have your feet out of the wellingtons and into a stream. I can be poisoning fish 100 yards downstream of me before other people even have their boots unlaced :-)

Jim

Imperial Dave

fair point Jim, thats another way of doing it....quick release boots  ;D
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

I don't recommend it for others, but it's just that I'm so used to wellingtons that they work for me. Expensive snug fitting ones would probably be worse.

Also they're handy in this side of the country because things can get wet underfoot  ;)

Jim

Mark G

New Zealand farmers always were wellies at lest one size too big so they can step out of them when they get to the farmhouse / pub.

Its a mark of a townie to have to stop and take them off one by one

Jim Webster

Winter wellies should be a size bigger than summer wellies as well  8)

Jim

Erpingham

Quote from: Mark G on May 23, 2014, 06:56:18 AM
New Zealand farmers always were wellies at lest one size too big so they can step out of them when they get to the farmhouse / pub.

Seems pretty universal - I was always brought up to have wellies one size too big to fit the thick socks in.  Jim is a brave man to walk any distance in them though. 

Re-enactor footwear has improved considerably since my day.  Then it was a variety of shoes and boots - I remember people in Docs, cowbow boots and even steel-capped work boots.  Very few people had period footwear.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on May 23, 2014, 08:45:44 AM
Quote from: Mark G on May 23, 2014, 06:56:18 AM

Seems pretty universal - I was always brought up to have wellies one size too big to fit the thick socks in.  Jim is a brave man to walk any distance in them though. 

Re-enactor footwear has improved considerably since my day.  Then it was a variety of shoes and boots - I remember people in Docs, cowbow boots and even steel-capped work boots.  Very few people had period footwear.

A very good point Anthony. My very first reenactment show involved me wearing "normal" suede leather shoes that to be fair didnt look too bad from a distance. After that I got a pair of handmade shoes from a guy called Kevin Garlick who still makes period authentic shoes to this day!
Slingshot Editor