News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Possible new event in Scotland in 2015

Started by Dave Knight, October 03, 2014, 12:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Knight

Hi all

For the past 2 years I have organised a joint SOTCW/Falkirk Wargames Club event.  The second was just last Sunday.  It went pretty well and I thought a similar event with SOA might also work well.

The idea is that individuals/ small groups put on 2/3 hour games which the rest of the participants join in, with 2 games in the day.  As well as the games themselves being fun they offer taster size opportunities for people to try out new rule sets.   It is a bit like a US style convention but no traders etc.

On Sunday we had participants from the Falkirk club, Bathgate, Angus and Glasgow District - the events are open to all.  If this were to go ahead it would be the last Sunday in the month, possibly March, April or May and held in the hall we use in Grangemouth.

The 20th Century event is called 100 Years of War so my working title for an Ancinet/Medieval version is 4,500 Years of War

Any thoughts/builds/interest?

Dave

Patrick Waterson

This sounds ideal, Dave - if we can just muster the enthusiasts!
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Paul Innes

Depending on the date, we should be able to send through at least one contingent from our lot in Glasgow.

Dave Knight

Any other interest?

Would it be OK to badge it as a joint SoA/FDWC event?

If so I could do a short note on it for Slingshot

aligern

Yes of course it would  be OK to joint badge Dave, The treasurer might even be persuaded to let us sponsor a couple of trophies?

What makes it useful for the Society is to get PR coverage from the event and hopefully something for Slingshot?  So a report on a ruleset and how it handled a particular battle and a couple of good  pictures would be the sort of thing, so that would be a write up of the battle in 'real life' and then how the game worked ?
If you already have our learned Editor on board then that is a huge advantage.

Roy

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: aligern on October 20, 2014, 03:24:50 PM

The treasurer might even be persuaded to let us sponsor a couple of trophies?

Yes, OK.  We may as well cast a few breadcrumbs upon the waters.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill