News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Kite Bomb

Started by Jim Webster, April 16, 2015, 03:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Patrick Waterson

Intriguing - and one that would add a third dimension to sieges.

One suspects that unforeseen gusts of wind could play merry hell with targetting - to the extent of occasionally 'getting one's own back' - which might be why this fascinating device was not more widely used.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

I felt it fell very much into the 'And don't try this one at home children' category  :)

Jim

Patrick Waterson

True. :)

It is interesting that constructing the device according to the drawing produced a good and unexpectedly stable kite.  Someone back then must have been doing their homework.

As far as I know the Papacy never banned the thing, which suggests it was not particularly popular or widely used.  The advent of ballooning comes to mind: when observation balloons started to become popular in the latter half of the 19th century, not everyone was particularly enchanted with them - or knew how to use them effectively.  Some observers in balloon cars became temporary and involuntary explorers when a gust of wind or an inept winding team snapped their moorings, and I do suspect the occasional bomb kite may have similarly cast loose and floated fancy free before swooping onto friendly lines and detonating its load.

Still, if one could arrange a man-lifting kite (a traditional Chinese pastime) then maybe we could rationalise the wargamer's godlike view of the battlefield.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill