News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Hyrcanians

Started by Jim Webster, May 04, 2015, 07:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Somebody across on the Impetus Forum painted up some Hyrcanians for use with Hellenistic/Parthian armies

http://impetus.ativiforum.com/t467-my-take-on-some-hyrcanian-infantry-inspired-by-you-jim#3693

Patrick Waterson

My own feeling is that if it looks right, it most probably is right, but we can see what Duncan has to say.

Very nice painting job.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Well, we know little about how the Hyrkanians dressed and fought, except that Herodotos back in the C5th lists them among those peoples dressed and armed in the same way as the Medes and Persians. There is no reason to assume that in later centuries they parted company from this general Iranian pattern, so for Hellenistic-era Hyrkanians these guys look fair enough. I don't think I would personally mix Argive shields with thyreoi in the same unit, but that's not a big issue. Very nice painting, as Patrick says.
Duncan Head

aligern

Based upon that recently discovered Parthian sculpture thureoi might well be the most likely shields .
R