News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Mounted knight salute with lance

Started by Stephen Wendell, July 17, 2015, 10:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Waterson

And it would probably take even longer this time.

Interesting campaign, though.  It leads me to wonder about historical-ish RPG campaigns with occasional battles as a way of introducing the next generation to miniature wargaming, but mostly I just enjoyed a chat with a fellow RPG-er. :)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on August 16, 2015, 12:06:48 PM
And it would probably take even longer this time.

Interesting campaign, though.  It leads me to wonder about historical-ish RPG campaigns with occasional battles as a way of introducing the next generation to miniature wargaming, but mostly I just enjoyed a chat with a fellow RPG-er. :)

I used to pretend I was a fighter, now I pretend I'm the general  ;)

Stephen Wendell

And finally, Littlelot, the story of a game of make-believe with knights and damsels in distress and other action figures.
Littlelot is a short story. It comes in six episodes, which I'll post, one per week, on Wednesdays.

http://bit.ly/1hnzIFd

Lancelot and his lance are described in the first episode. Spoiler: The lance goes in its "boot."

In fiction, a lance is like a gun: If you show it the first episode, you have to knock somebody off a horse with it by the fourth episode. I know waiting so long will be difficult and drive most of you to drink and make you paint figurines and stage mock battles with them, so I put something for you in the third episode: In preparation for the joust, you'll learn how a cowboy figure can be used as a knight, and we'll take the lance out of its boot!

The joust follows in the fourth episode. I'm not giving anything away to you guys if I tell you Lancelot wins in his usual style.

And if you can wait long enough, in the fifth episode there's a salute with the lance!

Thanks again to all of you for your input!

Stephen

Littlelot http://bit.ly/1hnzIFd
QuoteIt was a rainy day in May, so I had to play inside. Granddad and I were playing make-believe with my action figures on the floor of Granddad's study.... I liked to play make-believe with Granddad. He let me make believe whatever I wanted, and he talked for other people in the game, like the peasant who said he owed me a favor for helping him.

Jim Webster

How much publicity do you want for it, I have friends who would doubtless like it and could post the link on facebook etc :-)

Stephen Wendell

Quote from: Jim Webster on August 19, 2015, 08:23:51 AM
How much publicity do you want for it, I have friends who would doubtless like it and could post the link on facebook etc :-)

I'd like as much publicity as you can muster, Jim. And I really appreciate your thoughtfulness!
It's only a short story but it's my first (good) one, so I'm doing an all-out "episode launch" today.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Stephen Wendell on August 19, 2015, 09:23:45 AM
Quote from: Jim Webster on August 19, 2015, 08:23:51 AM

I'd like as much publicity as you can muster, Jim. And I really appreciate your thoughtfulness!
It's only a short story but it's my first (good) one, so I'm doing an all-out "episode launch" today.

Well I've put the link on Facebook and shared it on Goodreads, so hopefully that'll get you some attention

Stephen Wendell

Jim Webster

Just one piece of advice about 'presentation.'

If you include a picture in your blog then that picture will appear whenever the blog is shared on Facebook.
This is 'important' because it's a pictorial media and you're competing with cute cats and similar.

What I tend to do is to just search google images for something suitable. Plenty of fine art well out of copyright  8)

Stephen Wendell

Quote from: Jim Webster on August 20, 2015, 07:22:10 AM
If you include a picture in your blog then that picture will appear whenever the blog is shared on Facebook.
This is 'important' because it's a pictorial media and you're competing with cute cats and similar.

That's good advice, Jim. I've been thinking about what to do about the graphics.
Them cats, them cats!

Jim Webster

Quote from: Stephen Wendell on August 20, 2015, 09:44:07 AM
Quote from: Jim Webster on August 20, 2015, 07:22:10 AM

That's good advice, Jim. I've been thinking about what to do about the graphics.
Them cats, them cats!

I did a blog :-)

https://jandbvwebster.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/sex-drugs-rock-and-roll-and-cute-cat-pictures/

And for the current work I've put together this facebook page which I add to

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Land-of-the-Three-Seas/426394067386022

(Thus rendering facebook all the more terrible for those who know me)

For the SF I did this one which I've not updated for a while because I've been busy with the Fantasy

https://www.facebook.com/TsarinaSector

Stephen Wendell

Quote from: Jim Webster on August 20, 2015, 10:14:40 AM
I did a blog :-)

https://jandbvwebster.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/sex-drugs-rock-and-roll-and-cute-cat-pictures/

Great idea, use cat images on the blog!

I hesitated about using public domain images. I so wanted to use my own photos or maybe even do my own drawings!
But making a photo of action figures is difficult since I don't have access to any action figures, and I can't draw anything other than maps on hex paper.

Finally, I discovered a goodly number of very nice pictures from various illustrated versions of King Arthur published in the early part of the last century.
So there's a bonus this week: Eye candy! Gwenevere in a see-through gown!

Gwenevere

She said I had to be nice to her doll, because one time my big brother ripped Barbie's head off. Dolls and action figures are like that. Their heads turn from side to side, and you can rip them straight off. It's easy to stick them back on again, but ripping their heads off isn't a nice thing to do.

Mark G

Golfing for cats.
With a picture of hitler on the cover.

Hits all the biggest publishing sales figures in one go.

Stephen Wendell

Okay, this will be my last intrusion. Fans of ye old Chainmail rules for medieval minatures (Gygax & Perren, 1971) might find the fourth episode of Littlelot entertaining. I used the Jousting Matrix to write the scene. For each ride, you should be able to tell which aiming points and defensive positions Lancelot and Malegant are using. (Let me know if I made a mistake!)

The Joust

"Give up, Malegant! I am the best fighter of all the knights of the Round Table."
"You are only the best until you are bested by another," he said as he raised the point of his lance high.

And here's a link to an index of all the episodes.
Littlelot -- Episode Index