News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

SOA Confference - Huge success

Started by lionheartrjc, October 17, 2016, 09:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionheartrjc

The Society of Ancients Conference was held over the weekend at the Chesford Grange Hotel, near Leamington Spa.  I thought it was a terrific event combining some excellent presentations as well as some really good gaming.

The opening presentation was from Paul Innes on representing conflict in Shakespeare's plays.  It contained a lot of information about Elizabethan theatres as well as new insights into several of his plays.  Ian Lowell gave an excellent presentation on a Hittite manual for training chariot horses.  Matt Bennett presented two excellent sessions, one on Hastings (we couldn't ignore the anniversary) and on Arsuf (next year's battleday!). 

The gaming sessions included Simon MacDowall hosting a game using his Comitatus rules, Paul Innes running a mini-campaign on the battles of Phillipi (two games for the 1st battle and a final game for the 2nd battle) and Phil Steele running re-fights of Bouvines and Bosworth Field.

I presented a game using my own rules "Lap of the Gods" as well as a presentation on the concepts behind Simon Hall's new rules - Mortem et Gloriam.

Apologies to the anyone who I have missed out.  I am already signing up for next year's conference which we hope to hold at the same time of the year.  Details to follow shortly.

Richard Jeffrey-Cook

Paul Innes

Thanks for starting this thread, Richard - you beat me to it! I have just put an initial report on my blog thing at:

http://caliban-somewhen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/society-of-ancients-conference.html

I've deliberately given it as an overview, because I want to write up the whole battle as an article for Slingshot, including some commentaries by the commanders on the day. I haven't had the time to read those, yet, and some others may well come in later.

Thanks to everyone for making it such a memorable event.

Paul

Duncan Head

Definitely a success, and a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. I hope to see you all next year!
Duncan Head

Dave Knight

I will make it next year if I possibly can

Richard Lockwood

Many thanks to all who put on sessions, without you the Conference would not work.

Next year will DEFINITELY be happening. Watch out for news soon on the Forum...and book early to avoid disappointment!

Patrick Waterson

Take a bow, Richard - this is to a great extent your achievement.

Not forgetting Richard ... :)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Justin Swanton

Any chance of a few photos of the participants (in context)? I would like post this around.