News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Hungarian ‘Black Army’ 1458-1494

Started by rodge, December 08, 2016, 08:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodge

I ordered some Mirliton from Martin at Vexillia last week.
While I was at it I also ordered some of his own 15mm Medieval Eastern Europe 1400 - 1500 range, namely the Crossbowmen and the later Handgunners, and some of his Polish armoured pavisiers to use as Armati/Clipeati.
Really like all these figures, little gems to my eye; well sculpted and posed and in kit that will work.

Swampster

Quote from: rodge on December 22, 2016, 09:55:59 AM
I ordered some Mirliton from Martin at Vexillia last week.
While I was at it I also ordered some of his own 15mm Medieval Eastern Europe 1400 - 1500 range, namely the Crossbowmen and the later Handgunners, and some of his Polish armoured pavisiers to use as Armati/Clipeati.
Really like all these figures, little gems to my eye; well sculpted and posed and in kit that will work.

Yes, they are very nice figures.
If you ever get any of the cavalry, I was initially put off by the horses. However, I decided to use the horses for mounting some different light cavalry and they painted up very nicely - so much so that i ended up bulk buying a load of horses to use for various things.

Swampster

Finally did some photos.

And while I'm here. some Serbians.

Tim

Nice, even if the far Light Horseman looks like he is auditioning for the role of Lead Singer in Motorhead...

rodge

Missed these Peter.
They are very nice indeed.
Did you add the horse armour barding on the body of the centre figures mounts (to get the surface for the heraldry)?

Swampster

Quote from: rodge on February 03, 2017, 10:18:32 AM
Missed these Peter.
They are very nice indeed.
Did you add the horse armour barding on the body of the centre figures mounts (to get the surface for the heraldry)?
Yes, I smoothed out some of the detail on the casting and then added green stuff to further smooth and extend the barding.

rodge

Finally got to grips with the Black Army, so they are under conversion.
One troop type I'm struggling to find in 15mm are the lighter infantry employed to work in concert with the clipeati and armati:

"Light soldiers perform breakouts depending on the occasion, and when they are already tired or sense severe danger, they return back behind the armoured soldiers, organising their lines and collecting power, and stay there until, on occasion, they may break forth again" Corvinus

A couple are illustrated on page 26 of Somogyi's 'The Army of King Matthias 1458-1526' (which I can't find a link to) but they are both lightly armoured (one in mail hood with a simple helmet, the other in a mail cape and hood with a more elaborate pointed helm and articulated neck protection). Both are armed with swords and shields.
Any kind soul point me at something that may work/convert? I have looked at Essex, Donnington and Vexilia up to now....

Duncan Head

The closest match I can find are some Mirliton Elves! - http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=high-elf-warrior-with-sword&cName=fantasy-15-mm-high-elves

Or possibly Minifigs 204X from the Hussite range, who doesn't match either of the Somogyi pictures but looks sort of plausible for the period and role.
Duncan Head

rodge