News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Digital reconstruction of The Arch of Titus’s Menorah Panel in Rome

Started by Imperial Dave, April 25, 2017, 06:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/archaeology-today/cultural-heritage/true-colors-the-arch-of-titus/

found this to be an interesting piece on reconstruction albeit digital.....colours everywhere  :)

(and not via the mail online either)
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Trajan's Column also was almost certainly painted in lifelike colours, or at least what passed for such at a distance.

We often fail to appreciate that statuary was coloured to represent life, and stonework panels were similarly treated.  Life was, after all, what they were supposed to represent.

I think the original colours on Titus' panel would have been stronger than those shown: the 'washy' and 'pastel' look is probably the result of making no compensation for the effect of centuries of weathering on the surviving pigment.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Erpingham

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on April 25, 2017, 10:37:05 AM

I think the original colours on Titus' panel would have been stronger than those shown: the 'washy' and 'pastel' look is probably the result of making no compensation for the effect of centuries of weathering on the surviving pigment.

While I agree on the colours (the Romans seemed to like strong colours and it would make sense on a monument to be seen at a distance), I'm not sure about the weathering.  These studies of colour often look at the chemical makeup and recreate, rather than copy the surviving hues.

Imperial Dave

well, at any rate, the colouring effect does 'bring it to life' a bit more for me. I am so used to grey monotone on monuments that it is a bit of a shock to see otherwise. I cant remember where I saw this but quite a few walls and buildings in general were painted white as well
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on April 25, 2017, 05:03:41 PM
well, at any rate, the colouring effect does 'bring it to life' a bit more for me. I am so used to grey monotone on monuments that it is a bit of a shock to see otherwise. I cant remember where I saw this but quite a few walls and buildings in general were painted white as well

Popular in the Middle Ages too - lots of churches and castles were painted white, which would give them a very different appearance to the ruins of today.  The reconstructed medieval church at St Fagans near Cardiff gives a good impression of the difference.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on April 25, 2017, 05:29:45 PM
Quote from: Holly on April 25, 2017, 05:03:41 PM

Popular in the Middle Ages too - lots of churches and castles were painted white, which would give them a very different appearance to the ruins of today.  The reconstructed medieval church at St Fagans near Cardiff gives a good impression of the difference.

and in point of fact, there is a castle near to me (part of the trilateral castles in Monmouthshire nr Abergavenny) called White Castle because it was noted for being incontrovertibly white!
Slingshot Editor