News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Shields in the Notitia Dignitatum

Started by Osmoses, June 14, 2017, 01:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osmoses

This is probably a stupid question, but it's not really a period I know much about. I've been painting some Late Romans, and the shields depicted in the Notitia Dignitatum are all circular, but the actual infantry shields are oval. Some of the designs don't translate well from circular to oval (e.g. concentric circles). Is there a reason for this?

Duncan Head

The usual suggestion is that circular shields are simply easier for the artist (at least for the copyists, if not the original artist) to draw. The artists of some copies appear to have used compasses - see http://lukeuedasarson.com/NDshields.html if you haven't.

Many of the 3rd-century Dura shields are ovals (quite broad ovals) and some have concentric rings as part of the design - see here for instance - without apparent difficulty.

The Munich Egyptian shields (date uncertain) have been reconstructed as round but I've seen it suggested here that the fragments remaining are really not enough to be sure if they were round or oval.
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Osmoses on June 14, 2017, 01:24:02 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but it's not really a period I know much about. I've been painting some Late Romans, and the shields depicted in the Notitia Dignitatum are all circular, but the actual infantry shields are oval. Some of the designs don't translate well from circular to oval (e.g. concentric circles). Is there a reason for this?

a good question and one I have pondered myself especially when doing the self same thing of painting LR units. I tend to go with conventional wisdom and interpretation when seeing which of the shields are infantry and which cavalry. re painting, its easier in 6mm than 15mm believe it or not! Also the distinction between 'regular' and 'auxiliary' is a little more difficult for the like of me to untangle at that point in history :) 
Slingshot Editor

Osmoses

Ah yes, I see how the concentric circles would work now. Thanks.

willb

For those who may be interested there is a full color scan of the Bavarian copy at
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00005863/images/index.html?id=00005863&fip=86.132.15.248&no=5&seite=1

valentinianvictor

The pen & ink drawings of the now mostly destroyed Column of Arcadius show Roman infantry with both round and oval shields. There is a thought that those with round shields are guard infantry.