News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Hannibal visits Italy

Started by willb, June 20, 2017, 10:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willb

A fictional battle between Carthage and Rome
http://18clovehamhock.blogspot.com/2017/06/south-bay-game-club-june-meeting.html

Figures are 6mm.  All Rapier on the Roman side and a mix of Baccus, H&R< and Irregular on the Carthaginian side.

DougM

Nice work.. I always think 6mm looks more convincing - though basing styles become more important.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Jim Webster

Quote from: DougM on June 25, 2017, 03:06:58 AM
Nice work.. I always think 6mm looks more convincing - though basing styles become more important.
Yes, getting the bases right is the tricky bit

Imperial Dave

I may have missed it....whats the figure per base convention used for those on display here? 6mm figures per base and indeed base size is one I wrangle with constantly
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Personally, I have been using 60 x 30 bases as a standard. Mainly because they were readily available.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Quote from: DougM on June 25, 2017, 10:01:20 AM
Personally, I have been using 60 x 30 bases as a standard. Mainly because they were readily available.

I've gone to 80mm width these days although it does mean more painting  :-\
Slingshot Editor

willb

I mainly use 40mm bases.   Almost all ancient players in the area have 15mm or 6mm armies and use 40mm bases.  There are some 28mm armies.  The use of 40mm bases for 15's and smaller is due to those players who participate in tournaments where 40mm is the standard.  A 40mm wide format two bases deep is about a cohort for ADLG, FOG, DBMM etc.

I also have some mounted on 80mm by 40mm for large pike blocks and some barbarian hordes and some on 20mm by 40mm from playing Warmaster Ancients. 
Cataphracts and heavy infantry are 8 figures wide with the infantry usually based with two ranks.  Though some of the cataphract figures  and Triarii figures are a little to wide and are based seven figures wide.   Except for the vertical pikes, whether on 20mm, 40mm, or 80mm, phalangites are 5 ranks deep for a 40mm depth.  I use 40mm x 24mm and 40mm x 16mm paired bases.   The vertical pikes are mounted 3 ranks deep on 40mm x 20mm bases.

Light infantry are 8 figures randomly mounted on 40mm x 20mm bases.  Other infantry such as Indian archers are 12 figures in two ranks of six.  Light cavalry are 4 per  base and other cavalry are 6 per base.  Some of the cavalry that were based on 20mm x 40mm Warmaster like Macedonian companion cavalry are in six figure wedges.   Elephants, chariots, and artillery are one per base.

The rules allow all the above to be used, though the 20mm bases are in 40mm wide pairs.