News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Article on Arthur and the development of his my myth and the associated tourism

Started by Imperial Dave, June 28, 2017, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Anton

Imperial Dave

yes thank you Duncan. Ken Dark is possibly my favourite historian at the minute and does come up with some in depth and thoughtful proposals that are a little left of centre to 'the norm'
Slingshot Editor

Anton

Now I want to read Charles-Edwards The Arthur of History referred to in the foot notes.

Anton

Reading that its interesting how far we have come in twenty years.

Imperial Dave

agreed...

so in another 20 years will we see enough 'new information' to change again? I suspect little from picking over the bones of written sources so its the bucket and spade brigade that will possible enhance our enlightenment going forward...
Slingshot Editor

Anton

If I'm still here in 20 years I'll be delighted!  I suppose there is a slim chance of new texts turning up and and a few more multi disciplinary scholars like Koch would do no harm at all in respect of what we do have.

All in all though I suspect you are right, its the bucket and spade brigade you might bring us more.

Mind you, Storr's military engineering insights were food for thought.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Anton on July 03, 2017, 03:57:40 PM
If I'm still here in 20 years I'll be delighted!  I suppose there is a slim chance of new texts turning up and and a few more multi disciplinary scholars like Koch would do no harm at all in respect of what we do have.

All in all though I suspect you are right, its the bucket and spade brigade you might bring us more.

Mind you, Storr's military engineering insights were food for thought.

agreed Stephen, his insights are very fresh and he does use his expertise well in a field (no pun) where others havent really spent any time at all
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

been reading August Hunt's "The Bear King" and although it jumps around a bit, it does also support the 'Irish connection' and I am leaning towards that somewhat now......such is the life of the Arthuriana enthusiast :)
Slingshot Editor

nikgaukroger

How can you possibly look further than the he was king of Edessa and Jesus theory?   :-[
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor